Cali Kid Corals

My 90 gallon tank: video update! (with narration this time!)

Thank you for the link, will be watching that as soon as I submit this post.

Is there a library for our lingo here? I have a small understanding of some of what you say, but not all of it. Like, the Balling Light Method. I google'd it, but when I read it, there are things that it brings up that I can read, but some of the lingo is still lost in translation. Sorry, what a dumb question, but without stopping and asking every time you guys say something, my understanding is so-so = / I just want to get this down pat, because after talking with the bf about it, we have decided that yes, we both want a reef tank. So, plan is to set up as a FOWLR, learn everything that I can so when I am ready, I can do things without stopping to ask every 5 minutes. Besides, I really want to learn this. This is the kind of stuff that really interests me too =)

@jestersix, thank you for the info/advice. Have to say I am really bummed at missing your next seminar, so I will have to do with the video already posted, but I will be there next time! =) Also, if you guys have stuff coming up, if you could let me know as far in advance as possible, I will help out in any way I can. Hopefully, meetings are on the weekends, as weekdays are very busy with school and work.

@Erick, definitely plan on waiting the year. Gimmito mentioned this as well. Although it will be a pain to wait, I understand that patience in this hobby is as good as gold, so, wait I shall. =)

Whoa 61 new posts this thread is advancing fast. This is gimmito-thread speed!

Seems like lots of good advice floating in this thread. Seems like you have the FW thing all taken care of might want to exercise a little patience while stocking. Tons of coral within the forum so you'll get rolling. And sone of the ladies in the club have the coolest tanks.
Cheers!

Thanks guys! Any recommendations for books? I know there are tons out there, I am just wary of opinionated books. There are a lot out there like that for puffers, so I was a little hesitant to get something for a reef tank.

LoL @houser, I just have tons of questions. I know the bare bones to get me by, but if I want to do something really nice like a reef tank, I'd like to try to do it "the right way." And I'm really enthused. It's always been a dream of mine to have a tank that looks like some of what I have seen on some threads, with all the corals and fish, so the excitement is definitely sky high. :)

Checkout:

The Coral Reef Aquarium by Tony Vargas

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner

The Marine Aquarium Handbook by Martin Moe

The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paletta

Ultimate Marine Aquariums by Michael Paletta

Reef Aquarium vol 1-3 by Delbeek and Sprung

gimmito said:
Checkout:

The Coral Reef Aquarium by Tony Vargas

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner

The Marine Aquarium Handbook by Martin Moe

The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paletta

Ultimate Marine Aquariums by Michael Paletta

Reef Aquarium vol 1-3 by Delbeek and Sprung

So if I only bought two, what two do you recommend reading first? Unfortunately, none come on the Kindle =( LoL, like buying text books all over again for school! ^.^

Thank you all! Guess I should add that to the shopping list since I want to get really serious. My setup "Christmas" is on Friday/Saturday LoL. Except for the 'scaping, I believe I will be just about good to go. =) Maybe the weekend after the 14th....

When someone decides to get corals, do you always have to get a frag tank? Or is this just something people to to buy/sell/trade? When I think of frag tanks, I think of people who frag their corals because they can sell them, or trade them here, or where you put new frags into for a QT period. Is it something more than just this? Thank you :)

You wouldn't want to buy any of those on kindle anyway, the pictures are half the point!

Some people use frag tanks to grow out frags they receive, but generally they are used to grow frags from your display tank before trading/selling them. You can also get frag racks that attach to the corners or sides of your display tank to either grow out frags you make, or help them acclimate before permanent placement. Many people start with their new frags low in the tank to help them acclimate to lighting.

BAR has a cool program going called "Don't break the chain" where members give coral frags away for free on the condition that those who receive the free frags also give them out for free once they are able.

I have most of the books so you can browse them when you come by this sat. then you can decide which one you want to look for. The public library might have some of these too.

Can you guys think of anything potentially harmful in a tank that is shrimp looking? When watching the tank last night after we got home from working (like midnight) I noticed that there was a little tiny shrimp looking creature no bigger than my pinky thumbnail on a shell near the substrate. Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough to get a good pic, but I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what this could be. It was small, grey in color and curled and uncurled.

Also, been thinking about stocking the new tank. I know what I would LIKE to do, but I am not sure given my size tank if I SHOULD do. And I am one of those people that if it shouldn't be done, I won't do it. That's just not how I keep animals. I want them to have the best possible life in my care, and I will go the extra hundred miles to do so.

What I would LIKE to do:
A pair of true clowns
A pair of mandarins (way in my future, I know, and I am unsure about the pair thing)
1-2 purple firefish
2 firefish ( maybe? I would be adding one to what I have)
1-2 even 2-3 blue reef chromis (I know these are super aggressive, but I read that they are also a good indicator to other fish if the area is "safe" or not. i.e. if the chromis are out and relaxed, the other fish (such as the picky mandarins) are relaxed, knowing there are no predators, any thoughts?
1 flame angel
1 diamondback goby (already have)
1 starry blennny (already have)
4 clown gobies (already have)

Now, please keep in mind that that list is what I would like to have. I wanted to post it for you all, because I know I probably don't have room for all of those. If you have any insights or recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated. =)

"Can you guys think of anything potentially harmful in a tank that is shrimp looking? When watching the tank last night after we got home from working (like midnight) I noticed that there was a little tiny shrimp looking creature no bigger than my pinky thumbnail on a shell near the substrate. Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough to get a good pic, but I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what this could be. It was small, grey in color and curled and uncurled."

Could be an amphipod.

For stocking, it sounds reasonable to do all of that. I don't think Blue reef Chromis are aggressive. Maybe you're thinking of something else?

Back