Neptune Aquatics

My 90 gallon tank: video update! (with narration this time!)

Erick said:
"Can you guys think of anything potentially harmful in a tank that is shrimp looking? When watching the tank last night after we got home from working (like midnight) I noticed that there was a little tiny shrimp looking creature no bigger than my pinky thumbnail on a shell near the substrate. Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough to get a good pic, but I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what this could be. It was small, grey in color and curled and uncurled."

Could be an amphipod.

That has to be what it is!!! I googled it, and it looks exactly like that!! Are those bad? LoL

Erick said:
For stocking, it sounds reasonable to do all of that. I don't think Blue reef Chromis are aggressive. Maybe you're thinking of something else?

Really?! Damn, that just made my day. I was going for lots color and relatively peaceful.

Um, about the chromis, I was just going by what liveaquaria had to say about the chromis, so I really don't know all that much about them aside from what they say. It was just brought to my attention from the LFS, where yes, they are damsels, so the have a bad rep, but, they are good "indicator" fish. If they are calm and relaxed, everyone else is. LOL. So I thought I'd throw them on there and ask. My thought process being if it helps make my fish feel more at home, that might be a good way to go.

From LA: "The Blue Chromis is a very peaceful and active fish from the Caribbean. These fish reside in the upper part of the aquarium and will help bring out more shy species that normally hide. A shoaling fish, Blue Chromis should be maintained together in a group, and make a bright addition to the reef or fish only aquarium that is 30 gallons or larger. The Blue Chromis feeds on a variety of meaty items, herbivore preparations, and flaked food."

Again, everyone, don't hesitate to be upfront and honest. If I can't or shouldn't do it, have no fear, I won't. =) In the end, what's best for the fish, is the best for me.

Erick said:
It says peaceful not aggressive :)

Well, my assumption is that if it was peaceful, it wouldn't bother other fish lol. But being new, and never having this kind myself, I don't know one way or the other LoL. I know that they will kill each other off if they feel there are too many per tank, so that is why I was only thinking 1-2. What about a yellow tail damsel? Or are these kind of fish all together just not a good idea? And if so, any other recommendations for a colorful swimmers?

goldielocke76 said:
Erick said:
It says peaceful not aggressive :)

Well, my assumption is that if it was peaceful, it wouldn't bother other fish lol. But being new, and never having this kind myself, I don't know one way or the other LoL. I know that they will kill each other off if they feel there are too many per tank, so that is why I was only thinking 1-2. What about a yellow tail damsel? Or are these kind of fish all together just not a good idea? And if so, any other recommendations for a colorful swimmers?

I am so so sorry. Don't listen to me. LOL. I totally misread a part of your post. I am really tired and working at the same time. :tired: Sorry = /

Would adding a copperband butterflyfish to that list be pushing stocking requirements? They get really big O.O but they are so pretty.

The things you need to worry about when stocking is, food in, food out, aggression, and space. If you stock too much you will have too much pollution. If you have territorial fish, you need to provide territories so they (hopefully) don't fight. If you have fish that like to swim a lot, your tank should have adequate swimming room. If everything you want to add to your tank doesn't mess anything up you're fine to add them or adjust what you need to adjust to make it work. In my opinion

Erick said:
The things you need to worry about when stocking is, food in, food out, aggression, and space. If you stock too much you will have too much pollution. If you have territorial fish, you need to provide territories so they (hopefully) don't fight. If you have fish that like to swim a lot, your tank should have adequate swimming room. If everything you want to add to your tank doesn't mess anything up you're fine to add them or adjust what you need to adjust to make it work. In my opinion

Well, if I am going to go by Liveaquaria, so far everyone is deemed "compatible" with everyone else. I was just worried about space, because I don't want any aggression issues. If I am really not interested in breeding, should the firefish and mandarins be in pairs? I wasn't sure if that was better for the fish.

They don't need to be in pairs, but some fish are aggressive to their own species. Like two males might fight. So getting male/female gives you a better chance at little/no aggression. It can be hard to get male and female of the same species though. When I started my new tank, I was always trying to find male/female wrasses. I ended up just getting males of various species instead of one species with a male and harem.

Erick said:
They don't need to be in pairs, but some fish are aggressive to their own species. Like two males might fight. So getting male/female gives you a better chance at little/no aggression. It can be hard to get male and female of the same species though. When I started my new tank, I was always trying to find male/female wrasses. I ended up just getting males of various species instead of one species with a male and harem.

Well at least for the mandarins, I was going to actively look for male/female if I did a pair. For the firefish, I was advised to keep at least 2 of the same speicies together by the LFS, so that's why I was thinking 2 of each. Do you know if that is true, or are they better off if kept singly? And the clowns, I was under the impression that one would change sex, so I was hoping that if I got two, that would happen LoL. Still unsure of the butterfly though. Guess I will just have to wait and see how things pan out.

A hungry fish is an angry fish! I say stay away from the chromis, unless there are more than 12. They fight and bicker. A pair will bond and force the weak fish to the corners where they will perish. I agree with what Erik has been saying though I've not been reading carefully. I'm in this over 30 years: been there, done that and bought the t-shirt and the poster!

=( LoL, what happened to them being peaceful? Why does everything suggest that they are peaceful, but then everyone says that they are little boogers?

Erick said:
Peaceful with other fish. It's lord of the flies with their own kind.

Assuming you are talking about the chromis, then why are they called schooling fish?
Specifically I was thinking of Chromis atripectoralis

Ok so here are semi final stocking plans:

2: Amphiprion ocellaris
2: Synchiropus splendidus (male female pair, in the future)
1-2: Nemateleotris magnifica (have 1 already)
1-2: Nemateleotris helfrichi
1: Centropyge loriculus
2: Gobiodon strangulatus (already have)
1: Gobiodon okinawae
(already have)
1: Gobiodon atrangulatus
(already have)
1: Salarias ramosus
(already have)
1: Valencienna puellaris
(already have)

Other two choices:
4: Chromis atripectoralis
(trying to get even numbers, and enough for a school, still unsure, but the BF wants these)
~or~
1: Chelmon rostratus

Ideas, comments, suggestions, anything?

Chromis school in the wild, not so much in the home tank. They will school for awhile, it's a safety reflex, but when things start settling they stop, they try and set up a pecking order. Alot of people say that they will peck until there are only 1 or 2 left. I only have 1 blue green chromis so I am not speaking from experience here.

Your stocking plans sound fine. 6 of your fish are tiny and the rest aren't big either. You should read up on copperbands. I hear they can be a little difficult to keep.

Back