Cali Kid Corals

My 90 gallon tank: video update! (with narration this time!)

gimmito said:
goldielocke76 said:
gimmito said:
The orange and red ones are McCoskers wrasse.
The red w/white belly is a red filamented wrasse.
The purple, yellow, w/green spot on the tail is a mystery or white bar wrasse.

Sorry, I was way off ><

Do you guys recommend getting several of the same kind of wrasse, or could I do 3 different types of wrasse, 1 each? I was thinking of getting 3 wrasse total.

It depends if you want to see the natural behavior of a trio, which would include a lot of chasing by the dominant male. Although w/the flasher wrasse, you will get a lot of displaying by the male. I would probably go for 3 separate wrasses that would be compatable and introduce them at the same time to avoid agression.

Checkout out www.wetwebmedia.com for pics of wrasses you may like and you can ask the experts there if they are compatible also.

Thank you! That website is really helpful. I will have to continue to browse through it. Gotta stop looking at fish LoL, I can't add the fish until I get over the daunting task of plumbing. = /

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

So the plumbing parts is all I received, for the sump and the skimmer, and there is a picture of the overflow and sump in the stand. Sorry that they are such crappy photos, I took them on my phone this morning. Do you guys have any suggestions? I do want to make sure I have future connections for things like a calcium reactor when I have corals. Sorry, forgive my ignorance, I worked at a hardware store, but only sold the parts, never used them myself.

Haha yeah, it's the reflections. There are only two holes. One is for return right? LoL, sorry guys, I have never seen a plumbed tank aside from Jim's and what's at the fish shop.

Also, what's the general rule of thumb when stocking? Is it: 1 inch of fish per gallon. Just trying to figure out so I know when to stop. Also, do those gallons include what's in the sump? I wasn't counting them, I was just going by my tank. Pretty happy with what my stocking list is, but I wanted to double check rule of thumb before making any final decisions. Then when I am ready to get fish, where can I find all the babies? LoL, hoping to get smaller ones so I know their history better.

It's pretty exciting to have all this stuff sitting in my living room just waiting to be messed with. Denzil said he's pretty sure he knows what to do for plumbing after reading up on some tank journals and other info on the internet. Hopefully we can get plumbing parts soon =)

It's really exciting but sad to think that I won't be able to get my first new fish until end of June, possibly beginning of July =(

Kensington Reefer said:
You can kep as many fish as you can keep good water quality? Aside from territory and growth.

Ah ok, water quality shouldn't be a problem since I do weekly 50% water changes for my puffers. I will just throw in a 10% wc to the reef tank. That's much easier.

Any final say on tangs Erin? I would love to have a blue tang, and I read that they can take years to reach their full size. If a tank upgrade is in the future, could I get a very small one and once he gets big enough, upgrade him? That is the last fish I was wondering about. Other than that, I have a list that Denzil and I are both happy about (no chromis!) and we can't wait until we get back from our trip in June to start slowly stocking. =)

you know you can buy a fish a little earlier and start it in the QT for a few weeks before the display tank is up.

Personally I like nothing less than 25% water changes. Make it big enough to make a difference. Tangs...I have had most of them at some time or other. In a 90, I would find a blue tang the size of your thumbnail. The yellow belly variant tends to be more aggressive then the regular IME. Though not as colorful but more size appropriate...zebrasoma flavescens. Tangs need a lot of food. When you look at a tang or any fish for that matter, it should look like () not )(. No runway models! They should look like well fed and exercised.

Apon said:
you know you can buy a fish a little earlier and start it in the QT for a few weeks before the display tank is up.

......I never thought of that...so I am assuming that if that's the way I go, I should get the dartfish first?

Here's my final list of fish:

2: Ocellaris Clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris)
2: Green Mandarins (Synchiropus splendidus; male female pair, in the future)
2: Firefish Goby (Nemateleotris magnifica; have 1 already, will be adding another)
2: Helfrichi firefish (Nemateleotris helfrichi)
1: Flame Anglefish (Centropyge loriculus)
1: Citrinis Clown Goby (Gobiodon citrinus)
2: Black clown gobies (Gobiodon strangulatus; already have)
1: Yellow Clown Goby (Gobiodon okinawae; already have)
1: Green Clown Goby (Gobiodon atrangulatus; already have)
1: Brown goby (Gobiodon spp
; already have)
1: Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus
; already have)
1: Diamond Watchman Goby (Valencienna puellaris
;already have)
1: Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri
)
1: Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus flavianalis
)
1: McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri
)
1: Red Tail Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus rubricaudalis
)
1: Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens
)

The wrasses will be added all together to hopefully ward off fights. The Flame Angel and the Yellow Tang are the only semi-aggressive fish on the list, the rest is all peaceful. Planning on adding the tang and angel last, but apart from that, any suggestions for order? Especially when it comes to the ones I already have and the potential fish that may be soon in QT?

gimmito said:
Gobies and blennies first. Firefish. Helfrichi. Wrasses. Flame angel. Clowns (anenome ?). Flame angel. Mandarins.

Awesome! Thank you! Will I be able to stick an anemone in my tank? Well, I guess a better question would be: Do they have any special requirements that I need to plumb for? Is it better to have multiple anemones, or is one better?

At the rate this build thread is going it will surpass Gimmito's in only 42 days!
I would start calling sponsors to get free stuff and plan to be president of BAR if I were you Goldie! :D :D

JAR said:
At the rate this build thread is going it will surpass Gimmito's in only 42 days!
I would start calling sponsors to get free stuff and plan to be president of BAR if I were you Goldie! :D :D

Lmao don't say that yet. I still have the tank but no water, and need to plumb it still. Although my bf assures me he understands what needs to be done, I am still a little wary. I just asked him if he knew what was needed and he doesn't...LoL so the plumbing might kill me in time O.O

Besides, I have to now recoup financially LoL. Hoping the $1.50 raise will help some. Can't wait until I start working more hours. If I was working my normal schedule of 40+ hours a week, it wouldn't be a problem haha.

goldielocke76 said:
JAR said:

I still have the tank but no water....

Like I said... :bigsmile:

Haha. :p

So I was talking the plumbing over with Denzil, and we had an idea. Is there someone who's handy with making the plumbing for these things, and if I kept beer on hand, fed you (we have a grill for BBQ) and paid you, would someone mind coming over and helping us with the plumbing? I want to get it right the first time around (I can't afford leaks in an apartment) and I would love to learn about it. Because if I see it once, and take good notes, I won't ever forget. Don't anyone laugh. Yes, I am that afraid of doing the plumbing by ourselves. I don't have a clue as to what I am doing or what I may need :(

goldielocke76 said:
Haha. :p

So I was talking the plumbing over with Denzil, and we had an idea. Is there someone who's handy with making the plumbing for these things, and if I kept beer on hand, fed you (we have a grill for BBQ) and paid you, would someone mind coming over and helping us with the plumbing? I want to get it right the first time around (I can't afford leaks in an apartment) and I would love to learn about it. Because if I see it once, and take good notes, I won't ever forget. Don't anyone laugh. Yes, I am that afraid of doing the plumbing by ourselves. I don't have a clue as to what I am doing or what I may need :(

If there is beer involved just make sure your renters insurance is paid up and go for it. :bigsmile:

goldielocke76 said:
gimmito said:
Gobies and blennies first. Firefish. Helfrichi. Wrasses. Flame angel. Clowns (anenome ?). Flame angel. Mandarins.

Awesome! Thank you! Will I be able to stick an anemone in my tank? Well, I guess a better question would be: Do they have any special requirements that I need to plumb for? Is it better to have multiple anemones, or is one better?

Like the mandarins, it's good to let your tank mature before adding a anemone. Typically 9 months to a year is what's recommended. Different anemones have different requirements. Good water parameters, lighting, & flow is a must. Read up on wetwebmedia what anemones are compatible with the ocellaris clowns you want. Bubble tips are easy to keep, but may move on you and eventually split, giving you clones. Some members sell them or give them away as I did in the past when I had them.

Not making a comment on any of your fish ideas in perticular, but just a thought to put out there. Always buy for the tank you have, not the tank you want. Too many people buy bigger fish because "I'm upgrading to a 180g next year" and a couple years later they still have a 40g and are looking for someone to take a large, and perhaps unhappy fish off their hands.

And now time for the way back machine. Chromis seem to have been given up, but I wanted to clarify something. In this country we tend to call every group of fish a school, while in other countries, they tend to go with shoal, but there is a difference. Shoaling is an uncoordinated group of fish, very common on a reef. They could be together for mating purposes, or just after the same common food item. Schooling fish are rarer on a reef, and involve the fish swimming in coordination. Think of the Clupeidaes such as herring or sardines. Many fish will not exhibit any group behavior in the absence of predators.

Back