Kessil

My First Reef: Redsea 525XL

Having used a number of different pumps, I like the gyre the best, especially if the tank is not a wall of rock. The movement will reach the entire inside, and as I think you saw at my party, I added a jabeo at the other end to add more random movement. I am really enjoying my 525xl and you will too. P.S. I just saw that a company has made a "Y" diverter for the water re-entering the aquarium. I think they want 25.00. Call me if your interested, and I'll give you the web site. I'll probably get one shortly. I don't like hose nossle(sp) effect.

I really like the functionality of the Gyre, but I have read a lot of issues with durability (bushing wear out too quickly) and maintenance (hard to disassemble/reassemble). So that kinda drove me away from the Gyre.

On the lockline return, yeah I think that would be much better than the stock one. Are you getting it, if so let me know how it goes.

The gyre has been redone. Blades are much stronger. To clean it I put it in a bucket of water with vinegar and let set for 12-24 hrs. Taking it apart if neede is no difficult once you do it a couple of times.

The gyre has been redone. Blades are much stronger. To clean it I put it in a bucket of water with vinegar and let set for 12-24 hrs. Taking it apart if neede is no difficult once you do it a couple of times.

Do you have small snail inside your tank? The common thread I heard is snail getting in and breaking the blade due to the small space between the blade and cage. Also do you know when the gyre was redone (in case I find a used one and know which version is which)?

As far as I know, the 150s still have the original blade. If you want the ruggerised blades, you can buy as an upgrade. They did change the mount and made it much quieter.

The 130 comes with the upgraded blades stock iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know, the 150s still have the original blade. If you want the ruggerised blades, you can buy as an upgrade. They did change the mount and made it much quieter.
The 130 comes with the upgraded blades stock iirc
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They probably upgraded the stock 130 but not the 150 because the 150 also need a new case for the rugged blade. At 270+50, it is still far cheaper than other options. The only downside is I can't do anything fancy with Apex.

Hey rooster. Following. I see that you're in the middle of a remodel. We finished our remodel about a year ago. Nice space for the tank! Yeah those are built in benches along the hallway near the front door.

Got some stencil done on the wall space above the tank. Ordered a bunch of 20g Brute bin and Milwaukee refractometer. Hopefully I can get RODI going this weekend and start curing the rock works.

20161020_111646.jpg

If that is concrete holding the rock together, I think the bit sticking out is actually a problem to worry about.
It needs to soak.
Hopefully you can occasionally flip it over.

Not familiar with the Red Sea tanks, is there any cross brace on it? Hopefully the rock fits in the tank :D

No cross brace, though lowering that piece into the tank is a scary process in itself. I might fill the tank first for easier placement.

If that is concrete holding the rock together, I think the bit sticking out is actually a problem to worry about.
It needs to soak.
Hopefully you can occasionally flip it over.

Yes on concrete that has been drying since Aug. Don't know if I want to flip it to sit on the top bridge since that part is fragile, I think. I probably will have to give it more curing time once it get into the tank before life stock.

Did a water change, ammonia was in the deep green. I haven't bothered to test phosphate yet. Got a 55g tub so I can put all the rocks in one place. But it started to bow badly after 60% ish fill. So the top bit of the rockworks still stick out of water. Oh well.

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 12.00.46 PM.png

Picked up a few things from BRS sale
WAV pump x2
Sicce 5.0 - will use this till COR is available
Fish food, and other MISC

Still hoping for Red Sea and Neptune sale

I still get occasional short power interruption in my area due to construction so I'm thinking about putting a UPS to compensate. But there aren't much room in the sump so I'm pondering about making a tiny shelf behind the stand for it. Putting it next to stand is not an option (kids will push all the buttons). The unit itself is about 4" across. Thought?

20161123_120234.jpg

btw do you have the lid for those containers? snapping it on will do wonders to help hold it together, while yes the sides will still bulge out, you're not going to get the entire side bowing out. Basically the same idea as bracing at the top of a tank.

btw do you have the lid for those containers? snapping it on will do wonders to help hold it together, while yes the sides will still bulge out, you're not going to get the entire side bowing out. Basically the same idea as bracing at the top of a tank.
Yep I keep them closed to keep the smell in as well.

Back