Cali Kid Corals

My First Reef: Redsea 525XL

I believe this is the waving hand xenia. Mine is all white, stays short and pulses. Let me see if I can find pic. Probably some in my old tank tour photos.

I believe this is the waving hand xenia. Mine is all white, stays short and pulses. Let me see if I can find pic. Probably some in my old tank tour photos.

I think Xenia behavior vary on the flow pattern. In higher flow area, Xenia just wave with the flow. In stagnant water, it pulse to create water movement.

See my zero edge tank - its overflowing with it now. http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/tank-tour-pics.15878/

or this

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/79/97/2e/79972e78c3098c3b40de2507f0e0b85b.jpg

I used to have the long ones too, arms would stretch out for like 6 or 7 inches in flow. These Pom Pom stay short in high flow. I used to try to collect xenia. Even bought a giant xenia once that kind of looked like a big mushroom and giant stalk. Anyways if you want some just say so. Probably just as prolific as Kenya tree.

Thanks, I'll hit you up later for some once I get more light going. Right now I only have the middle part of the tank lit. @Yippee just gave me a load of stuff over the weekend and now I'm all out of light real estate :D.

Pom-pom xenia is a cool coral, if you are able to attach it to the back wall, it will give a very nice motion; same as neon green gsp but I preferred the xenia.

See my zero edge tank - its overflowing with it now. http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/tank-tour-pics.15878/

or this

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/79/97/2e/79972e78c3098c3b40de2507f0e0b85b.jpg

I used to have the long ones too, arms would stretch out for like 6 or 7 inches in flow. These Pom Pom stay short in high flow. I used to try to collect xenia. Even bought a giant xenia once that kind of looked like a big mushroom and giant stalk. Anyways if you want some just say so. Probably just as prolific as Kenya tree.

I believe the long one is called "waving hand" xenia? Sort of open/closes in a spiral-ish way.

One week of chaeto growth

Before
795dc99a03fe518f9e9acab4e8d772ac.jpg

After
2ff9b38ddfee49d4beae83698cedd23f.jpg

Last edited:
6 Weeks Update

@Yippee gave me a big load of corals from his tank. Thanks a lot. Now I'm running low on light real estate :)

There was a little outburst of GHA so I turn up fuge time from 6-10 hours, that brought phosphate back inline and nitrate is almost undetectable now. Got a couple of Turbo and Astrea snail to mop up the GHA. Most of the corals are still on frag plug right now as I'm trying to figure out their permanent spot.

I'm putting in BRS dual reactor to run GFO and carbon. Still deciding placement to account for my return manifold later.

Stocking Update
Fish
Pair of Percula Clown

In TTM
Batch 1 - Blue Hippo Tang, Yellow Tang, One Spot Foxface
Batch 2 - Lyretail Anthias x3

Invert
Snails - Trocus, Turbo, Astria
Hermit crabs,
Rock Flower Anemone

Softies
Zoas - Rasta, Orange Oxide, Vampire in Drag, Spiderman + 3 others
Pom pom Xenia
Kenya Tree
Green Nepthea Leather

LPS
Purple/Green Chalice
Green Duncan - Duncanopsammia axifuga
Blue Blasto - Blastomussa
Orange Leptastrea

SPS
Red Planet Acropora
Orange Monitpora Digitata
Encrusting Montipora

FTS

Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 12.07.01 PM.png

New fishes
These guys graduated from TTM + treatment. After the initial chaos (which caused my clown to jump out of the tank), they hurdled into a corner of the tank. This morning they are still there but a bit more chill and feeding but still hug that corner.

Last night

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 1.26.21 PM.png

This morning
Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 1.26.30 PM.png

Quite a bit has happened in the few weeks

The good: the number of coral has exploded from generosity of BAR members. There are tons of new euphyllias, LPS and even some SPS
The bad: blue tang got a round of ich after all the effort doing TTM which got me pretty depressed. I'm getting a QT ready in case I need to take them all out to treat and go fallow.

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 12.16.18 AM.png

Last edited:
Looks like you are going to need more lights!

And it also looks like you are out of room on the rockwork for all those frags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm so torn on the light situation now. The Hydra 26HD is almost 2 years old now and due for new generation SOON. I don't want to get a new light yet and miss the new gen by a month. So unless some super deal come along I'll just hold out lol.

Honestly, any new light that comes out is not going to be so revolutionary that would make your current light obsolete. If I were you, I would have picked up the older Hydra 26s and saved myself some money or use the saving to get more lights.

Honestly, any new light that comes out is not going to be so revolutionary that would make your current light obsolete. If I were you, I would have picked up the older Hydra 26s and saved myself some money or use the saving to get more lights.

I would if I can find a good deal. There are not a whole lot of used white hydra 26HD floating around lol.

Back