Kessil

My fish tank

S-MAN0001.jpg

Undata0001.jpg

mpoletti said:
At some level, every picture is digitaly altered to compress to our screens, some people just take things to an extreme.

That's a really important point. Every photograph flattens the dynamic range and the choice of how to flatten it is an artistic one, often hidden by the camera but adjustable in post processing. Mark, it looks like you choose settings that increase the gamma (a decrease of "brightness" in many apps)? That separates the color channels producing strong saturation at the cost of lost detail in the darks. It's a great look for reef photos, IMO.

pixelpixi said:
mpoletti said:
At some level, every picture is digitaly altered to compress to our screens, some people just take things to an extreme.

That's a really important point. Every photograph flattens the dynamic range and the choice of how to flatten it is an artistic one, often hidden by the camera but adjustable in post processing. Mark, it looks like you choose settings that increase the gamma (a decrease of "brightness" in many apps)? That separates the color channels producing strong saturation at the cost of lost detail in the darks. It's a great look for reef photos, IMO.

Thank you :) Just like many of my corals, I like contrasting colors. One of the most talented reef photographers I am continually amazed by is Jonathon Hale. His photos are world class and I wish I had even a third of the talent he does. The greatest thing I enjoy about taking photos in the reef setting is seeing details through a viewfinder.
Most of my photos have a preset manual white balance, in manual mode and usually a click or so being underexposed. I have basically just learned by snapping shots and keeping a close eye on the tank. I have been thinking of enrolling in some photography courses just to gain more understanding.

Back