My fish tank

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by mpoletti, Mar 13, 2009.

1. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

WOW!
    I keep telling my wife that some day "all these corals will grow and it will look really cool"
    Like yours! A work of art :)

2. euod

euod Supporting Member

And you can frag and sell them to send the kids to college, too.

Great job Mark. Coming along nicely. Time to gamble and put in some large angels now. LOL.

3. mpoletti

mpoletti Guest

Thanks. No large angels in this tank. I think it would be a bit on the small side as I have the two centropyge's.

4. mpoletti

mpoletti Guest

5. nanocube-guy

nanocube-guy Guest

Can you really add angels in the tank? I assume they eat corals right?

6. mpoletti

mpoletti Guest

Thats why the name of my thread is "my fish tank" :D I like corals but I like fish even more. Angels nip corals, but rarely do any damage that will actually kill the corals. If they did, then I would need to try something else.

7. mpoletti

mpoletti Guest

8. iani

iani Guest

Sweet shot Mark. Look at all the goodies.

9. Is that an Aquascene above the Hawkins...I can't wait until my tank has that look of maturity to it....Awesome

10. mpoletti

mpoletti Guest

The aquascene is in the 2nd photo. I don't have the hawkins so I am unsure which piece you are referring to. Thanks

11. Lyn

Lyn Guest

How far apart do you space your corals for future growth?

12. mpoletti

mpoletti Guest

Thats funny. Right now they are 3-7" depending on the species. I also have some experiments going on where I am trying to have some corals battle it out to create some stag v table gowths. I want a couple plates that have stags coming through the middle of them.

13. Lyn

Lyn Guest

LOL :) Make sure you post a picture of your stag/table morph! :D

On the spacing,do you purposely give frags space to grow out, or did it just end up that way, or did you move them once they got too big for a spot?

14. mpoletti

mpoletti Guest

I try to keep the corals spaced out, or at least make sure to mount the corals where they will have a better chance to get the flow they need. I do move some things around from time to time, but its getting harder to relocate them as they continue to grow.

15. Lyn

Lyn Guest

Ah, I see. I was wondering because sometimes I see tanks with tons of frags packed together on the rock and wondered what they do about the growth. Thanks for answering my question. :)

16. Ok, then whats the piece below your Aquascene, and how long did it take the A.E. to get that large, i bought some frags from Tim, and the aquascene was one, and it's sloooooooooow growth, but on the positive, at least it's color is dead on. Do you have the Ultimate Rainbow, thats another slow one I got from Tim. I love how many fish you have in there, and I think having the Joculators are worth the reduction in PE.

17. mpoletti

mpoletti Guest

Hmmm, the one with the blueish purple tips is one I got from Aquatic gallery about 2 and half years ago. The light purple/lavender one is the Ultimated Purple Monster. The AE takes awhile to base out and it loves the flow. I do have the UR; here is an older picture from a few months ago.
    [​IMG]

And here is the other one I was talking about
    [​IMG]

18. Awesome, thanks for the pics....that UR is sure nice.

19. mpoletti

mpoletti Guest

Just a couple coral shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Hideous... absolutely hideous.

I especially loathe that last one, I find it hard to even hold my breakfast down. ;)