High Tide Aquatics

My new 45 gallon setup

Just upgraded from my 29g hang on back skimmer system. (anybody wanna buy this?)
New system is:
45 gallon (36" wide, 18" tall" by 15")
Eshopps 75 sump
Marine land return pump (nearly silent)
Reef dynamics INS 80 skimmer (not so quiet:-( )
Lit with reef brite LEDs. 2 50/50 36" strips, 1 blue 36" strip. Wondering if I went too blue?

My prized elegance is thriving after the transfer. My leather tree coral seems to be taking a while to come back to full size. The only fish so far, a Coral beauty and a cardinal are doing fine.

Not sure how to post photos here.

Can't wait to see the pics. To attach pictures, click on the "File Atachments" button (highlighted in blue) located below the box where you type your message. Then hit "Browse." Find your photo, and hit "Attach" for each one. I think there's a way to attach them directly into your comment section, but I don't know how. I'm sure someone else does :)

the blue is close to mine im running 4 blues and 2 whites..... i bet you will have no problem selling or trading the blue one if you decide to go with anotther 50/50

tank looks good

Very happy with my upgrade so far. This tank is so much prettier than my old 29g, which because it was "sumpless" had lots of visible plumbing and pumps along the back wall. It was also crowded due to how large the Elegance grew. I am also loving my Reef Brite LEDs. VERY bright compared to the Compact Fl. I had before, and I love the shimmer.

I moved the leather/tree to the left side because it was shrinking. Suspected it was due to low flow on the right side of the tank. It does seem to be better on the left side, where the Vortech is. Now, my zoas, still on the right side, do not open up much since being moved to this tank. I may have to break down and get a Vortech for the right side as well.

Currently, the right side has the return pump outlet, but that doesn't create that much flow in the tank.

Added a brown colored clam, and Just bought this really cool fish, but I forgot what it was the moment I got home with it. It is a longis orange fish with blue eyes. Very interesting beast. Other fish are all doing great, though a Yellow tang I added only lasted a week before completely disappearing while we were away for new years weekend. Not quite sure what happened. No sign of a body or anything - though protein skimmer was a bit full :-(

Anyway, so far, the big takeaway is that I can highly recommend the Reef Brite LED strips, at least for what I've been growing. The Elegance continues to flourish!

An interesting note:
I have 4 different thermometers in the sump, 4 different readings.
On digital heater controller: 80
On cheap-o digital thermometer from LFS: 77
On glass cheap thermometer from LFS: 78
On iTemperature problem on DA aqarium controller, 76, though Now I've calibrated it to match glass one.
But which one, if any are really right?

Odd, my digital probes usually match very closely.
Like within 0.2 deg.
Is your heater controller probe near the heater?
The one on the glass will probably be affected by room temp.
Are your various probes deep enough, and away from bubbles?
Is one near overflow from DT?

Stick all the probes together with a zip-tie, in a calm deep part of sump, and see if they then agree.

Back