Cali Kid Corals

My new little frag buddy.

Mine got trained to eat frozen store bought shrimp off a stick or my hand 1-2x/week. I've had him over a year. It's easy to tell when they are hungry because they'll wave their little lure around. Mine is in my softy tank where there are no small fish for him to eat.

The little pygmy's don't have lures, but they are cute! Now that I've finally got him eating something I can start working with frozen on a feeding stick.

I’ve kept tuberosus before.

You can transition anglers from ghost shrimp to frozen pretty easily.

Now that he’s eating live shrimp, make a feeding stick from rigid acrylic air tubing. Attach a short length of stiff fishing line.

Impale live shrimp on the line to feed your angler. You can gutload your shrimp with whatever enriched food you like.

Freeze some of the shrimp and swap them in for live ones after he associates the stick with food. He might give you a nasty look the first few times you trick him.

After he consistently takes frozen shrimp, you can swap in small pieces of cut up gel cubes or store bought shrimp.

Be careful of supermarket shrimp though. Sometimes they have a lot of added phosphate which can be bad for your fish. Got a bad batch of shrimp that did in a star and stripes puffer once. Found out later that the shrimp had a really soapy chemical taste.

I’ve kept tuberosus before.

You can transition anglers from ghost shrimp to frozen pretty easily.

Now that he’s eating live shrimp, make a feeding stick from rigid acrylic air tubing. Attach a short length of stiff fishing line.

Impale live shrimp on the line to feed your angler. You can gutload your shrimp with whatever enriched food you like.

Freeze some of the shrimp and swap them in for live ones after he associates the stick with food. He might give you a nasty look the first few times you trick him.

After he consistently takes frozen shrimp, you can swap in small pieces of cut up gel cubes or store bought shrimp.

Be careful of supermarket shrimp though. Sometimes they have a lot of added phosphate which can be bad for your fish. Got a bad batch of shrimp that did in a star and stripes puffer once. Found out later that the shrimp had a really soapy chemical taste.
Yeah...that's a good point about store bought shellfish. I have tried getting the phosphates out of scallops (when I cook with them) by using bicarb...not clear that that works though.

Makes me want to get one for the frag tank...

Since they only get a few inches long and are reef safe they are a cute addition to a small frag tank. However, even eating, I'm not sure they last more than about 3 years at best in captivity and they aren't cheap.

thought it was a conch of some sort with coraline algae when the original picture was posted. i can see the face now lol. good luck with the little guy.

Back