Our mission

My new Phosban reactor 8-)

I've been using the Two Little fishes Phosban reactor as many do. When I use the Rowa high capacity GFO, it's hard to control the media and keep it from bypassing the sponge. I've replaced the course sponge with a more dense kitchen sponge which helped a little. I'm guessing that pelletized or larger granule media may not have the issue. Once the media starts to move within the reactor, it begins to migrate out of it and into the sump.

Long story short, I felt the design of the TLF reactor fell short of true versatility with media so.......................I found an inexpensive design that just makes sense to me. I can't wait to install it and servicing will be SO much easier than the TLF product. See what you all think:

PS. Let me know what you think about "high capacity" vs. "normal capacity" GFO.
Is it worth the price?????

http://www.marinedepot.com/Magnavore_Simplicity_Chemical_Reactor_Chemical_Reactors-Magnavore-MN4111-FIFRISCR-vi.html

Just a thought, but wouldnt you be able to cut some window screening down to the same size as the sponge in the TLF reactor, stick it in between the little red stopper thing and stick the sponge over it? I was going to try this at one point but didnt know if the screen material would leach out anything harmfull.

YOu can get all plastic window screen, it's fine. The wire/plastic stuff is not.

I like the ease of media change. The entire media chamber come off with a twist. Also, look at the cross section of exposure to flow. My guess is that it will be less likely to plug up and be somewhat more efficient with absorbency. It sits very low in the sump too, I like that so I'm not knocking it around when I'm doing skimmer duty. I'll wait a few days to hook up the new reactor as the media in the TLF (Two Little Fishes) reactor is still pulling phos.

My issue with the TLF unit was amplified by my first choice of media. I bought Rowa phos by D-D. It may not even be traditional GFO although it looks right. I like their salt so I thought I'd give it a go. It becomes suspended much more quickly than pellets or larger granules surely would. So being "new" to using GFO in a reactor, I had to play around a lot with flow control to get the perfect tumbling motion of media without loosing it into the tank. There is nothing wrong with the way the TLF unit works. Thanks to Jeremy's suggestion, cutting sponges that were more dense than the stock ones help much. Wadda Guy! It is a little more difficult to get out of the sump, into the sink and disassembled. It's also a bit messier resulting from the design. Whatever the method, many of us feel there is value in using GFO and some kind of reactor to help control phosphates in their reef tanks. I'll likely use media from Bulk Reef Supply but am considering seeing Robert or Cerrissa at Neptune since they will be stocking the standard granular form of GFO. Support our local LFS's! :)

GFO users:

I just was wondering if y'all had any ideas regarding the value of using "High Capacity" GFO as opposed to standard granular GFO. Please feel free to chime in! :glasses:

Thanks guys. Last couple questions: do you purchase from our LFS or from BRS? Do do you follow the instructions for quantity of GFO/tank capacity in the reactor? Do you buy the 5 gal. buckets or the smaller sizes.......and most importantly, do you change out media weekly/biweekly or measure phosphates and change when they rise above a level of XXX?

I appreciate the chance to do this properly and have your input/s H)

I bought mine when no sponsors were carrying it. If I were to buy it now I would buy it from a sponsor. The price is about the same plus you support a LFS. I change my GFO out every 1-2 months. There is no need to buy a 5 gallon bucket because it would probably last you over 10 years lol.

Thanks, Ian. I'll grab it in smaller containers, change it our less often (once my tank really settles in regarding nuisance algae) and buy it from Neptune.

"You the Man"

I change about every month but it can get to 6 weeks or so. I used to measure it out but I'm not that exact and put about 1 tablespoon per 20 gallons. probably not as much as calculated but it works for me. I gave up on GFO solving my algae problems, I'm in the camp of using nature- hence foxface, tang & turbo snails and they've mowed down the different algaes I've had.

I'ma bum! I've yet to drop it into the sump 'cause I need to pick-up a little pump for it. My Two Little Fishes is still chugging away for now and the Rowa Phosban is likely still picking up phosphate. I can already tell you that it simply has to do a great job and the design makes so much sense to me. The canister is a little tight against the o-rings thinking ahead about removal and service but should loosen up when it's wet. :bigsmile: Regarding effectiveness? I'll need to start testing for phosphates to know. :|

Cool, I don't see many reviews for this Simplicity reactor. I can't wait to hear yours. It looks like a good space saver compared to the other well known reactors like the BRS and TLF.

I also need to stop by Neptune for a big bag of GFO. I'm not real happy with the way the Rowa Phos "floats" around in the TLF reactor so I'm going with standard bulk GFO from Robert and Cerissa. I will post an update...............promise! 0:)

Back