Neptune Aquatics

My peroxide dipping experience!

So after purchasing some frags from a friend, my LA Lakers ended up developing some hair algae all around the plug. So after some research I had been reading about peroxide dipping to rid hair algae from plugs.

I had read anywhere from 30-70 mix to full peroxide dips. So I decided to go for it and see what happened.

I must say that my first attempt was successful. Using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, the standard over the counter kind, I am successfully hair algae free on that plug.

My recipe was half container of tank water and the rest was peroxide. So my mix is 50/50.

DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH SPS. ONLY TESTED ON Z's and P's.

hpw5pdN.png

I proceeded to take the frag out and let the polyps completely close up. I then let them sit in the solution for EXACTLY 4 minutes. Use a timer of some such. While its in the solution it will bubble and fizz. After the 4 minutes I swooshed it around in another container of tank water to dilute whatever peroxide may be left.

Now after this it took a day or two for the polyps to want to fully open again. I am guessing that it is pretty irritating to them after being dipped like that. Another thought is that the dip water is MUCH colder than the tank. My solution for this, is I will be floating the closed bottle of peroxide in my pre-mixed saltwater for 24 hours before to raise the temp. of the peroxide. I will post polyp reaction the next time I do it.

Kx7WXO3.png

If you have any questions about my experience, I would be happy to answer them. Sorry I don't have a before and after photo!

Awesome! I hate hair algae on my plugs and I did not know this trick. Thanks!
Will be trying this on my zoa plugs.

Any idea what works for SPS frag plugs? :)

hmm interesting. i've always been able to get rid of hair algae by dipping in stuff (coral rx, iodine, etc) and lightly scrubbing.

this may be something new i try

Back