High Tide Aquatics

MY TANK

This is my set up right now and I have a 56watt output on 4 t5 bulbs/ 2actinic and 210k , a remora skimmer, a biowheel filter with chemipure plus and polyfilter filters, and 2 pumps 1koralia and 1 marineland.

Any suggestions to makebetter would be great. I am looking for a wavemaker, if there are any suggestions please let me know.

Not to shabby, how big is that? 12g? 24g nano? I'm guessing nano due to the curve and size compared to the Koralia pump..

Personally I think that flame angel is probably not going to like that tank in a a bit (too cramped), but other than that, looks like you're doing alright, keeping the fish load low will only help keep your tank good. A wavemaker probably would be overkill, hard to tell from static pictures but just make sure things are moving with the flow and you should be great.

Its a 29g tank. The water circulation is great, i thought wave makers was needed in a tank, but if i don't need it's ok. I change my water about 2gallons every 4 to 5 days.

What other corals would you guys recommend, i will be upgrading or adding a 60+w CF as well in a month or when lol funds come in.

Wave makers are NOT needed, its a myth perpetuated to sell expensive wavemakers to destroy pumps that are not meant to turn off and on continuously :D You can get some neat effects with them, and they are far from being useless but not a necessity by any means, as long as you have good water flow then you'll be good to go.

I think you're on the right track as far as corals, lower light demanding corals are fine, zoanthids, mushrooms, etc. some LPS corals do rather well (colorwise) in a lower lit tank. But I really don't see a reason to update your lights for what you have, are your actinic bulbs purple or blue? (blues are often called actinic).. if they're the purple ones maybe swapping out to blue for more light energy while still giving some fluorescence to the corals, or all 10k if you don't really care too much the fluorescence. If it were me though any upgrade in lighting would be a 70W metal halide (or 150w if you want really high light demanding corals), I wouldn't even bother with CF bulbs, you could squeeze a little pendant over there and probably keep a couple of your T5 bulbs on top of that, but you'll have to keep up with water top offs as you will evaporate much quicker.

I wanted to get an anemone for the tank and That is why I wanted to maybe up my lighting. They are blue bulbs. Thank you on the info about the wave makers.

There are many people who keep anemones under t5's with no problem, me for 1 :) As long as your bulbs aren't going out you should be fine from what I'm seen and been told. a small 150w mh wouldn't hurt though :) Tuberider (Jeremy) may still have a good deal on a new ballast and a reflector.

So you have 2 actinic and 2 20K? If so I would replace 2 bulbs to 10K. That should be enough to keep an anemone in that little tank.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4754.msg57875#msg57875 date=1223422504]
So you have 2 actinic and 2 20K? If so I would replace 2 bulbs to 10K. That should be enough to keep an anemone in that little tank. [/quote]
Phong, I got mixed up on that too, he has 2 - 10k and 2 actinics (not sure what flavor)

oh ok.. Can you take picture of the light? I need couple more T5 light on my tank.. Wondering if it will look/fit on my 12G. I have 70W MH now. 2 more T5s actinic would look great 8) ..

;D My FINAL SETUP I THINK

Can't wait for Anemone. The 1st pic is the tank and the rest are from left to right. I'll take pics of my lights tommorrow Elite. Specimens are random Zoas, frogspawns, torch, GSP which I scrape to kill(don't know how to frag), a stalk or two of pumping xenia, a red gonopora, an orange carnation (had it for three weeks), 1 ricordia, 2 faded ricordia, 2 red mushrooms, A blue mushroom, green mushroom on top of rock. I don't want to add diffrent species other than different zoos. If anyone has any tubs and yellow torches or frogspawns let me know. I wo get more zoos , so if anyone has any cool unusual specimens let me know. ;D A nd a favia - kinda jacked it up so im trying to start it from the bottom again to regain its color it was on top of the tank for 3 weeks and it bleached, but its regaining its color again ;D

I have alot of fish unfortunately and my wife wants to keep them all. A pair of false percs, six line wrasse, a yellow watchman with the bars on its side -3 inches, a flame angel, i know i know a lot and a powder blue tang - not a lot to swim around but i manage to let him swim stationary on the koralia flow (kinda kool). I have a sandsifter star and the red star.

I don't have a sump so i got a bunch of chaeto in the back and some other macro algae. The tang eats the macro algae so i buy a bunch every month to naturally feed the tang macro algae. I am running a bio filter and chemi pure. A lot of hobbyist told me to stop it , but I'm afraid that it might crash my system. The biowheels nitrates i figured my chaeto and other algae would neutralize. I don't check my water too often but i continually do water changes everyweek - five days atleast about 2 -3 gallons.

Back