Our mission

Mystery bug

Gorm

After the recent red bug talk, I am more paranoid now than ever about what is alive in my tank.

I recently noticed a "new" resident in my tank. I know someone out there has to know what it is so I will give it a shot. After much searching on the internet to no avail, here it is

pic1.jpg

At first I thought it was a flat worm, but after close observation, it is a Crustacean of some sort. It is an excellent swimmer, doesn't like light, and seems to eat algae. The places where I see it after some time after lights out, is on the glass where I don't scrape. It's oval in shape, and pretty flat, and has several pairs of legs. Light color similar to my sand. The dark spot in the picture appears to be a stomach of some sort, visible from the underside when it is on the glass. Sorry for the picture quality, my camera doesn't do macro well.

Are the legs actually articulated? The description otherwise fits a baby abalone which would have "frills" or "antenna" looking extensions around the shell margin.-Jim

yes they are articulated, and are on the underside of the body. Theyremind me of a horseshoe crab without the tail, a little

Back