Jestersix

Mystery Fish ID?

Ok, I know these are like bigfoot photos... saw this guy at an LFS in LA, beauuuutiful fish ... roughly 8" long, 2" wide and 2" tall, upturned mouth, eyes on the side of his head, screeeamin neon orange and blue stripes. Realllly looked like a giant saltwater killifish.

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

What LFS? I'm friends with many of those LA guys and can ask. I can't tell from the pics or the description.

Tong's, though they didn't have an ID on it. They were just calling it a "snapper" for lack of any other name. Gorgeous fish. No sucker on his head like a remora.

Look like this?

65164_large.jpg

rainfordia opercularis (from Australia)

I was thinking some type of deepwater fish, maybe a relative to a Liopropoma or the Belonoperca

Oh I'm not done just yet :) The more I show and the more you comment, we'll get this nailed down.

seminolecpa said:
Can't we give it some cool designer name like coral and be done with it? :) How bout the {insert cheesy superhero name here} fish?

No thank you. With the amount of fish in the ocean and so many that look like each other LATIN is best. Same with corals :p

Let me guess, each of your fish, shrimp, snails, etc all have pet names? :lol:

GreshamH said:
Look like this?

65164_large.jpg

I was thinking some type of deepwater fish, maybe a relative to a Liopropoma or the Belonoperca

Wow, just wow. That's exactly what it is, and I don't think one has ever appeared in the US before, at least never that I've heard of. This is one of those "only in books" fish.

What store, how much were they asking?

GreshamH said:
seminolecpa said:
Can't we give it some cool designer name like coral and be done with it? :) How bout the {insert cheesy superhero name here} fish?

No thank you. With the amount of fish in the ocean and so many that look like each other LATIN is best. Same with corals :p

how about we compromise and call it an AAA Ultragrade LE {Latin Name}

Matt_Wandell said:
GreshamH said:
Look like this?

65164_large.jpg

Wow, just wow. That's exactly what it is, and I don't think one has ever appeared in the US before, at least never that I've heard of. This is one of those "only in books" fish.

What store, how much were they asking?

really?

Thanks for chiming in, I was going to send you a PM to look at this post :)

Tong's Tropical Fish in fountain valley, I didn't ask about a price or see one scribbled on the side of the tank. I've sortof committed to try purchasing him for a friend tomorrow evening though. :D

The story the employee gave me (take it for what it's worth, I don't know this guy) is that they think he's been in the store at least 5yrs, they found just him swimming around in a live rock bin under their display cubes recently.

GreshamH said:
really?

Thanks for chiming in, I was going to send you a PM to look at this post :)

Really, there is no other fish it could be. L. swalesi is the only thing even close but the tail color and body shape obviously rule that out.

Back