Reef nutrition

Nano Advice Needed

patchin

Supporting Member
We were given a nano, which i think is an Oceanic 14 ga, although it really doesn't have any brand name on it. The fan(s) hardly worked, now the last bulb went out. So we would be looking at replacing both fans and both bulbs. Nanotuners has a hood for $99. If we ditch the hood and go to LEDs, what would you use??? Would one LED spot be enough light?Or just replace all the parts? Presently there are no corals in it, although he would like to keep some med to low light corals in it.

It does have a bonded pair of Cinnamon Clowns, which are available for a nano appropriate frag.

I think one would be ok for med/low. Ideally I would get 2 par 38's. You can always buy one and get another later.

There's always this too:
http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=73&products_id=620

Sfork said:
Wow, $350 for a retro kit! Kinda steep.
Is there a favorite way of hanging one of those heavy Nanotuner par 38s?

i have seen custom tube bent and attached to stand to hang over the tank or I have seen them hung from ceiling using a hook...... they are pretty much a DIY thing either way but can be done fairly easy

patchin said:
Sfork said:
Wow, $350 for a retro kit! Kinda steep.
Is there a favorite way of hanging one of those heavy Nanotuner par 38s?

Conduit does the trick :)

You can probably get by with one par38 at 60* optics but you will get a good amount of light falloff.

Though I'd suggest sticking 2 or 3 LED strips in the hood and replacing the fan. Much cleaner look and you won't have to deal with as much evap on a small tank.

patchin said:
Thinking of any particular LED light strips?

I think they were the Ecoexotic ones. The tank I'm thinking of was a 24 cube with 3 strips and it's plenty bright so I'm pretty sure 2 would be
fine.

iCon said:
patchin said:

I think they were the Ecoexotic ones. The tank I'm thinking of was a 24 cube with 3 strips and it's plenty bright so I'm pretty sure 2 would be
fine.

Friend has 4 or 5 Stunner Strips in his 29 and it's not even enough for his softies?

GreshamH said:
iCon said:
patchin said:

fine.

Friend has 4 or 5 Stunner Strips in his 29 and it's not even enough for his softies?

*Shrug* maybe a different one then. It has 3 strips and they keep softies to beginner SPS with noticeable growth between my visits.

iCon said:
GreshamH said:
iCon said:
patchin said:

fine.

*Shrug* maybe a different one then. It has 3 strips and they keep softies to beginner SPS with noticeable growth between my visits.

Not many strips out there at the size ;) 100:1 it's Stunner Strips you are talking about.

The Stunner strips have 6 LEDs per strip. The next size up has 12 LEDs. Done remember their name. Thinking about two of the larger strips, or just replacing the hood. Not really sure how to tell it's actually an Oceanic. No name anywhere and the hood is shaped differently than the one shown on Nanotuners.

GreshamH said:
iCon said:
GreshamH said:
iCon said:
patchin said:

fine.

Not many strips out there at the size ;) 100:1 it's Stunner Strips you are talking about.

Haha yeah..Which is why I'm pretty sure that's what they were. Came from Neptune at IIRC 100 a pop. Hard to keep track of other peoples' tanks let alone my own ;) But if so.. They have 3 and they grow beg. SPS just fine.

Could be these: http://www.neptuneaquatics.com/content/panorama-led-module-8000k453nm-model-8200

Good possibility actually.

You can make a DYI kit from Rapidled for $115(12 leds) plus $25 for the heatsink.I would recommend getting the dimmable driver and the dimmer so you could adjust. Bolts into stock hood with little modification. Friend of mine did this looks clean and has seen SPS growth . Open hood Id go with Kessil.
My 2 cents.

That's a better way, although I would get the heatsink from nano tunners because it is already pre tapped and sized to fit perfectly in your hood. I Had 24 over my biocube29 so i think 12 would be enough for a bc14

Also, ReefKoi (Evolution) has their version of LED strips, similar to Panorama ones. I have a Panorama, an Reefbrite and an Evolution larger one- I like all 3, lots of choices for LED strips.

Back