Neptune Aquatics

Nautilus Live Deep Sea Exploration

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Well, I feel like a fool for not posting this earlier, but if anyone is interested in watching a live stream of deep ocean ROV exploration, you should check out NautilusLive.org from time to time 24/7. Off and on since the summer I have been losing sleep watching the expedition working its way down the west coast. The past few days I have been blown away by streaming deep sea hydrothermal vent footage, such as:
https://nautiluslive.org/album/2017/10/24/feeling-hot-hot-hot-extreme-chemosynthetic-communities
(edited video with sound, not the live narration)
I watched the ROV arm grab a sample of tube worms and there were shrimp, crabs, and little fish among the tubes!
There are lots of their expedition videos on YouTube and there is usually a window showing the last four hours of their dive embedded on their website. While they are live, you can send in questions and have them answered by the team. The E/V Nautilus is the research vessel of Robert Ballard, who located Titanic and deep sea vents. Earlier this month they explored Cordell Bank right off of here - there are deepwater gorgonian-type corals there. I have watched only a bit of it and am waiting for time to check it out.
Every time I click over to see what's going on I'm amazed, day or night!

Back