Our mission

Need 140 gallons saltwater or RO water

Waste water can contain bacteria and it can be aerosolized by flushing. Not sure if this is correct or true, but I have heard it before

Um, trying to keep this not to gross, but...

What else besides a little bacteria in the RO/DI waste water might be in the toilet bowl when you flush? I'm not flushing an unused toilet!! :eek:

Not everything needs to be 'sanitary'.

OK, I give. You played the 'legionnaires disease' card. :)

Add some bleach to the water while in storage. Install UV for waste water. Put in microwave and cook it. Boil for at least 5 minutes!

Monk-in out!! (TV not religion) :) :) :) :)

Thank you for all kind feedback. I went ahead and use those water that I measure from my TDS-3 meter, it's 9ppm after filter. This is for new tank so water, dry sand and unsure rock need to go through a fews week of cycle. Yesterday, I add couple of rocks and a gallon of water from my brother current tank for seeding the rock and hope it will help a little bit.

By the way, another reason that I used my 9 ppm water is, I bring my 9ppm water to a reputed fish store and ask them to measure, they said they don't have tool to measure the water so i ask them I would like to compare my water and their water, they went ahead and do the test. The biggest surprise is their water show 15ppm, this is their RO-DI water that they are selling to customer for $50c/gal. I think they need to change their filter cartridge.

You can use bacteria in a bottle from Fritz or Dr. Tim's one and only to cycle the tank. Another way is to get a cup of sand from a established (and trusted) tank.

LFS aren't always able to stay on top of changing out their filters/resins...best bet is to make your own water.

your RO measurement seems fine. I have a hanna tds/ec/ph meter from my orchid growing days and find thata monthly calibration is very benificial. im pretty sure that the cal solution is pretty high tds, which should in turn produce a reliable low reading. from what i have read, seeding a tank with established rock(critters) can be pretty good. I have a 10 gal QT that has no pests and has alot of pods, big and small. Id toss you a couple small rocks and a cup or 2 of sand if u need some seeding. lemme know.

Back