Kessil

Need a couple of drilled tanks with overflows...

...what's the cheapest way? I am thinking I need two 29G tanks with 500-700gph overflows. I want to plump these into my current setup (125G DT + ~30G sump).

Here's seem to be one possibility, but it does not seem cheap:

29G tank from Petsmart: $60 2x $120
700GPH overflow from www.glass-holes.com: ~$90: 2x ~$200 w/shipping [I know I only need on hole saw; they have a way of deleting one from one of the orders]

So, I get two 29G tanks with overflows for ~$320.00 and I risk cracking them.

Any better ideas?

I have the 2 3/8 hole saw. You are welcome to use it. It has been used for one tank so it's good for 5-8 more drillings.

If you go slow with the drilling and don't apply more than a feather weight of pressure then you won't crack the tanks.

Petco is apparently having their dollar per gallon sale again.

I'd find used acrylic tanks and DIY the overflows. Depends on how particular you are on size and dimensions and if they will be visible or not. Pretty easy to find acrylic tanks about that shape in less than perfect shape. Easy to drill and install overflows

I've got one of these drill presses you could use. It makes it easier to align the drill on the glass, prevent skipping, and let the weight of the drill do all the work. Unfortunately the GH 2 3/8" hole saw bit is just a little too large for it, but there are similar ones available (and probably less expensive, too).
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/plumbing/glass-drill-bits/drill-press-attachment-for-hand-drills.html

Well, for $1/gallon I went with Petco and got two 20Gs and one 29G for $88 all in including tax. That's a pretty darn good deal and I don't need to worry if the tanks every help copper, etc.

Erin, I appreciate the offer of the 60Gs, but I had already gone to Petco. I think the smaller tanks fit better in my fish closet.

One cheaper solution is that Bulk Reef Supply has 700GPH overflows for ~$45, but I think my the time I buy lids, bulkheads, and silicone, I am pretty close to glass-holes.com price and they have a nice baffle design (well, a street elbow with a hole and in tube), but it's all in one package.

The glass-holes.com bulkhead comes with two gaskets, one on each side of the glass:
Overflow%20Assembly.jpg

Ah I see, usually you don't put the nut on the inside part because it'd squeeze and deform the gasket, but since the nut isn't directly touching it (sandwiched between two pieces of acrylic/glass) it'll work.. I guess you could also put the bulkhead in the tank as well and get away with one gasket, just again between the two panes.

Anybody have any old small overflow boxes? I don't need 700GPH. The tanks are 20G and 29G, so a 200GPH box would be fine (a box that is around ~2"x5"x3.5").

If I can find two boxes, then I think just drill these with 1" bulkheads. Instead of $50, with some spare overflow boxes, this project is $8 for the 45mm hole saw and $6 for the bulkhead and $3 for the street elbow. I could also build the boxes out of scrap from tap plastics, but I don't have a good way to do the teeth.

*David*, I assume your drill press works for 45mm hole saws? I think that is the recommend diamond hole saw for a 1" bulkhead (BRS ABS bulkhead needs a 42mm hole -- 3mm smaller than their recommended hole saw).

magnetar68 said:
*David*, I assume your drill press works for 45mm hole saws? I think that is the recommend diamond hole saw for a 1" bulkhead (BRS ABS bulkhead needs a 42mm hole -- 3mm smaller than their recommended hole saw).

Yes, 45mm is no problem. The hole saw provided by glass-holes.com for their 700gph kit is for a 1.5" bulkhead, and it was just ever so slightly too large to use with the drill press.

Yesterday, I got two Super Nano with Teeth from glass-holes and the drill bit. THese should handle about 200GPH continously which is plenty of turnover for my needs (a 20G cuttlefish nursery and a 29G Clown Fish tank). I just need to drill two tanks. Man, am I nervous. I will try to PM David to borrow the guide, but any tips?

Cuttlefish and clowns! :love: I heartily approve.

It seems daunting to drill glass, but it's actually quite easy especially if you have the proper tools. I saw it firsthand when Bondolo drilled his tank without completely emptying it - gutsy! You've been doing your research so you know that keeping the bit wet and going slow will net you good results.

The absolutely most important point is to avoid putting any pressure on the glass. Even the weight of the drill may be too much pressure. You want a feather touch and let the tiny diamonds do their work.

All the good tips have been said already. My only suggestion is to keep the bit as level as possible and work on a solid level surface as well.

Both tanks are drilled! David (lattehiatus) was super generous and incredibly helpful and came over and helped me. Thanks everyone for all of the tips. It's actually pretty easy with the right equipment (we used David's drill press and a fresh drill bit).

Ray - Such a pleasure meeting your wonderful family and hearing about the grand plans! You've definitely been bitten by the reefing and breeding bug, it's great to have another fellow addict nearby. :bigsmile:

Mike - I'm pretty sure that using a drill press puts me out of the running for the coveted drill master title. :p

Back