Need advise on resealing glass tank

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Marc, May 27, 2015.

1. Marc

Marc Guest

Hey All,

I've got a glass tank that needs to be resealed. Its fairly large and I need some tips on how to successfully complete this project. Tank is a 6 footer rimless and glass is 1/2 thick. Heavy as hell!

Ive already cut the glass panes apart and now I need to clean the silicon off and clean and prep the glass.

I'd like to know....
    1) is there a solvent that will help me remove the old silicon off the glass?
    2) what solvent for cleaning the glass to insure oil free surface?

2. nly04

nly04 Guest

I used 70% alcohol that i buy from costco to clean. Why you need to cut the panels apart? If you cut it apart it not reseal anymore, seem like you want to rebuild the tank from used panels.

3. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

Is this the tank from Aqua Forest?

4. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

5. nly04

nly04 Guest

I used razor blade to remove silicon first then alcohol to clean up.

6. Marc

Marc Guest

Well it's a large tank and the previous owner had already resealed it once. Honestly I'm not comfortable just adding more silicon to "patch" the blown seems. I feel more comfortable knowing all edges are solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

7. Marc

Marc Guest

Yep. I'm thinking about bringing the back glass to a shop and have it drilled. Considering ghost overflow.

8. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

I haven't tried this method but came across this a while back:

I was planning to do some glass projects but never got around to it. I'm curious though, what's a "ghost" overflow?

9. denzil

denzil Webmaster

@anathema It's this or similar to that style. It's basically a slimmer profile Bean Animal overflow.

10. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

Ah, ok. Thanks.

11. Marc

Marc Guest

Thanks for the vid anathema. I'll have to search and find some.