Cali Kid Corals

Need Help Clearing Half Garage of Equipment, Tanks, Livestock - Divorce

I am in the middle of a divorce, and we sold the house quickly. Unfortunately, I had no time to find a home for my livestock and entire system (187 gal and 100 gal). Most of the corals did not survive and Aiptasia took over. LPS, Nems, and the Fish are healthy.

I have one week to clear everything - by August 19 - so I need all the help I can get. I would give everything away, but my wife is demanding something since I spent about $10,000 to build and stock the system.

Is anyone interested in helping me this week - either buy out all my equipment and livestock or figure out a way of moving everything out, cleaning, and reselling (we can split the proceeds). My livestock inventory is below.

My house is in Livermore, literally next to Las Positas College in the Montage development. I have 5 days starting Monday to clear out my garage. I bought two ex-reefers' entire inventory a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, the hobby and my marriage (among many other reasons) conflicted.

I am open to ideas and will post photos once I get a chance to return to the Livermore house. I am in Pleasanton right now.

Patrick

Livestock from 2 separate tanks:
  • Male Mandarin
  • Powder Blue Tang
  • Powder Brown Tang
  • Yellow Tang
  • Scopas Tang
  • Tomato Clowns (1 female, 2 males) - residents of 5 nems
  • Bubble Tip Anemones - split into 5 from 1 original mother
  • Sebae Anemone
  • Ocellaris Clowns (Pair)
  • Maroon Clowns (Pair)
  • Banggai Cardinals (Pair)
  • Rabbitfish
FTSday1.jpeg
25291892412037502.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch that sucks, vindictive spouses can be ... vindictive.

That said, post what you have, she has to know you're only going to get a small fraction of the money you spent, especially if it's "you need to move it in a hurry" level of critical state. And I hate to say this... but if the divorce doesn't specify how items are to be split/sold off I would say screw what your (ex)wife demands, don't sell anything and then on the last day when the stuff has to move and no one has moved it say "free for all" or whatever.

But post some pictures, post some prices, and see what happens. I'm sure depending upon what you have someone will be interested in something. If you want to stay in the hobby maybe focus on selling off the livestock, and "sell" *wink wink* the equipment for a super low price and just get a storage locker and put it there until you get situated (and the divorce is over) and set up again.

Thanks Mike!

I can post photos, but I need help in the pricing and selling. If anyone is free next week and willing to help me, I would love to split proceeds. I have so much good shit, but simply do not have any emotional energy left (drained from dealing with a very vindictive wife on a hunt for non-existent assets).

I was thinking about the storage locker idea, but I decided to live in an RV full time for now. My ultimate goal is to buy cheap land, build a tiny house, and a separate building to house all my hobbies (aquaria, etc). Wife would have never agreed to this lifestyle, so that is the upside of this divorce.

I will start posting the original Craigslist ads when I first bought everything last year.

Sorry to read about the life changing issues.
I agree with the storage of the equipment. Livestock is the most important part; hopefully someone gives the fish a nice home then as pointed above; “fire sale”
I know your tanks are big; perhaps renting a Uhaul box to move both into storage?
Anyway hoping for the best for you

Agreed. Take someone up on the offer to store the tank and equipment till you're ready to set it back up. If you don't sell it you don't have to split the proceeds. It shouldn't matter what was spent during the marriage on this anymore than it matters what she spent on clothes. Move the livestock (that being said I may be interested in the Mandarin and Powder Blue.)

Agreed. Take someone up on the offer to store the tank and equipment till you're ready to set it back up. If you don't sell it you don't have to split the proceeds. It shouldn't matter what was spent during the marriage on this anymore than it matters what she spent on clothes. Move the livestock (that being said I may be interested in the Mandarin and Powder Blue.)

The Mandarin and Powder Blue are yours! I am glad they are going to you Bruce. I was really lucky to get those two in great shape directly from a wholesaler by LAX. Let's touch base on Monday.

Everyone, thank you for all your ideas about storing and rebuilding. BUT I have always wanted to live a minimalist lifestyle. For the time being, I am living in an RV. The long-term plan is to buy land outside the Bay Area, build a Tiny House, and a "Hobby Building". So I am taking this time out to go on the road for a little while.

The Mandarin and Powder Blue are yours! I am glad they are going to you Bruce. I was really lucky to get those two in great shape directly from a wholesaler by LAX. Let's touch base on Monday.

Sounds good. We'll talk Monday. Also I think I can clear a storage locker out here at the property I manage for you to store stuff.

If you do decide to sell I can help you with the pricing and selling. I don't want half of the proceeds in a case like this, but I would donate my half to the club if that's what you want to do.

Sounds good. We'll talk Monday. Also I think I can clear a storage locker out here at the property I manage for you to store stuff.

If you do decide to sell I can help you with the pricing and selling. I don't want half of the proceeds in a case like this, but I would donate my half to the club if that's what you want to do.

Speaking of donations, I would love to donate to the club the industrial grade tank moving suction holders I got from Jesse (original ELOS US owner) when I bought his entire inventory. We will need those to move Jesse's industrial grade 187 tank.

FTSday1.jpeg

open

Holyshit is that a 48” wide tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The other tank is a DSA 105. I love that tank, especially if you are limited to 4 ft length. Sadly, we have to renovate a room before I could set up a tank at home.

It is really nice too! I wish I could keep it, but I am joining the Tiny House movement and have to wait until I figure out how to live in a Tiny House and still get back to our beloved hobby (maybe separate greenhouse for the light with solar panels to run cooling?)

Bruce,

I have a 10x10 storage unit with some space for more gear (I have old equipment already there), so combined with your storage, I can maybe just start storing everything for resale to club members without time pressure.

Maybe this plan:

(1) find homes for all livestock (PB Tang and Mandarin to you, and nems to ashburn2k);
(2) move the DSA 105 and Jesse's 187* to storage;
(3) clean everything
(4) inventory
(5) sell to club members

Items 1 and 2 must be done by next Saturday. The rest can be done over time.

*I needed to hire movers for Jesse's tank and stand, but if we get enough guys and a large pickup truck, we can move it ourselves. If we can find a permanent home for it, then I would just rather hire a moving company to transfer it to its permanent home.

Back