got ethical husbandry?

Need Help Deciding 125 or 180 gallon Tank

I want to upgrade from my 55 gallon to either a 125 or 180 gallon tank. Never really thought about the total weight until now.

From this site http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/aquariumsandstands/a/tanksizesweights.htm it says filled weight of 125 is 1400lbs and 180 is 2100lbs.

Just thinking about the weight scares me if the floor of the house can take it.

The current 55 gallon is in the dinning room up against the garage wall. The new tank will go in the living room up against an exterior wall.

Would it be safer to go with the smaller lighter 125 gallon tank and not worry about the more weight of the bigger 180 gallon tank?

Safer, I guess technically. But a 180g shouldn't pose that much of a trouble especially the exterior wall actually is right over the foundation. The beams should be really close to the support so there won't be much deflection at all, and the foundation should be concrete so you'll be good there.

However that said, I'd always check by taking a physical look under the house if possible.

I believe the beams would run perpendicular to the tank. Ill have to double check when I get home. If so, then 180 would be okay?

The weight difference in water is only 459 pounds.
The tank type (acrylic versus glass) will make a difference.
But don't forget about the sump as well. You will likely have a larger sump for a 180.

But overall, I agree with Mike. Should not be an issue, but you really need to look under the house.

Okay, thanks for the advice guys. Ill look in the crawl space when I get home today.

Didnt think about the sump too. Doh!!!

Just came up from under the house. Woot I tell you!!! Seems like when they built the house, they were thinking of putting a 180 gallon tank there. Hahahha

From the exterior wall im planning to put the tank, there is a 4x6 beam sitting on its own concrete footed post running parallel to the wall 4 feet away. Which means the 2x6 floor joist only spans 4 feet under the tank location.

Sounds good, yeah?

I shall be doing a 180. Saw a 125 vs 180 the other day at Erins.

Trying to find a good deal on a 180. Anyone know of one for sale? Friend of a friend of a friend. :D

Back