1. The 2014 BAR Members Only Frag Swap is today!

Become a member in order to participate in today's swap!
  2. Hey Bay Area Reefers!

Please excuse the mess as we're currently sorting out some technical issues with our new home page as it has thrown off our website URLs a bit.

Thank you for your patience!

Your Webmin

Need help with moving my 50gallon PnP

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Prince Shah, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Prince Shah

Prince Shah Supporting Member

Hi BAR members,

I have 50gallon cube with 19gallon sump. I have hard plumbed my tank and now I am moving from Sunnyvale (South bay) to Dublin (East bay) around 40 mile give an take.

I was wondering if you guys have tips or suggestions.

Also, If you guys have big containers which I can borrow for this weekend would be great.....

Here is the pic of my cube..... for reference......
    file.jpeg

2. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

Costco sell the big black (30g?) tub with yellow lid for around $10 that should be all you need + some $4 home depot 5 gal buckets.

3. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Remember that you still have to lug that container to the new place! I suggest transferring everything to a big tub but do the actual transfer in smaller 5g buckets with lids. Allocate 1 day for this move alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Prince Shah

Prince Shah Supporting Member

Thank you guys.

Plan was to transfer water + sand + rock into containers. Either 5 gallons or 32 gallons. Use the movers to move tank plus cabinet.
    I was wondering if I should bag my corals or should let it loose in containers.

Also, I have hard plumed my drains... I have to cut or try to forcefully twist the bulkhead disassemble.

5. Gablami

Gablami Guest

I moved a 30g a couple months ago. Get a bunch of buckets, rubber maids and Tupperware. Siphon out most of the water and try to save it. Remove corals and place in Tupperware/buckets. Remove fish. Remove rock. Save a few cups of sand and dump the rest. Have new sand ready. If you try to save old sand can start a cycle.

I don't think you have to have movers move the glass, unless you don't have help. Two people can lift my 100g, and I moved my 30g alone. But use those suction cup handles to be safe.

Move to new location. Setup rock, sand, water, top off with fresh sw. Expect lots of cloudy water. If you have a separate holding tank to store livestock until things settle down, great. If not just work quickly and get the livestock back in.

Good luck!

Coral reefer, Prince Shah and Newjack like this.
  6. Gablami

Gablami Guest

I would try to move the tank separate from your house furniture move/kids/family. It is already stressful enough, and to have to instruct movers, deal with other issues and packing would be too much imo.

California_Reef_Co and Newjack like this.
  7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Just cut the plumbing and install a coupler at the new location. Easy.

California_Reef_Co likes this.