Our mission

Need help with my DIY led setup

sfsuphysics said:
Looks good Dave, sorry I didn't see your message until this morning, but doesn't look like you blew anything up :D I had a minor plumbing emergency, fixing one leak, ended up requiring me to replace a whole length of copper tubing :D

Anyways, plan on putting any sort of optics on that?

No worries I figured it out. I knew what to do but I just wanted someone to reassure me is all.

I have 80 degree optics that I will put on in the next few days just want to retro this into my fixture 1st. But Ill tell you what, Im pretty impressed with this DIY thing. And for only running 2 drivers ( 500mA on the blues and 650mA on the whites) its pretty bright.

ah gotcha! That works too, no need for fuses by doing that. Considering LEDs are most efficient at 350mA anyways, you're probably better off running them at lower currents, also less cooling required.

Not sure if it's the most efficient economically however... would be an interesting thing to analyze though... and by interesting I mean something to do if I'm really bored :D

Either way I'm sure you'll have more than enough light. I'm currently keeping an anemone tank lit under 5-xpg & 7-xre RBs run at 750mA with no optics (I was stupid and put them too close together for optics to fit), and doing so a good 15" above the water.

Almost done just cosmetics now.

led4.jpg

led5.jpg

Possible concern - is there a splash guard or anything?
It looks like a mesh screen on the tank, and nothing directly below LEDs.
Just thinking that salt deposits could be a long term issue.

BTW: +1 on sweet looking. That old fixture makes it look pro!

rygh said:
Possible concern - is there a splash guard or anything?
It looks like a mesh screen on the tank, and nothing directly below LEDs.
Just thinking that salt deposits could be a long term issue.

BTW: +1 on sweet looking. That old fixture makes it look pro!

Correct there isnt a guard in the pictrure but going to TAPS tomorrow to get one cut out.

Back