Cali Kid Corals

Need your doser opinion?

I'm looking to getting a doser that can support my 2-part solution, and potentially calcium. I was talking to John, and he really likes his Bubble Magus. Does anyone else have input on either a bubble magus or some other doser?

Thanks!

If you can get a good deal on the BM and want a totally standalone device, it is a good solution. If you want to use your controller to be in total charge of dosing, then many have (including myself) used dosing pumps such as the Drew's Doser which I believe Neptune carries.

If your LFS has a good deal, best to do that, but otherwise:
Drews Doser, from bulk reef supply!
Only $90, and a great product.

Just did a read on the drew's doser. But I don't see the units where you store the solution you wish to add into your tank. Am I missing something?

I have a Bubble Magus doser and so far it is working great. I decided that that was a better option for me over using the drews dosers with my controller.

Gonzo said:
Just did a read on the drew's doser. But I don't see the units where you store the solution you wish to add into your tank. Am I missing something?
The doser is just a peristaltic slow pump. You put it on a timer to pull in X ml of calc/alk per day.
You put the solution in any container you want, and have a tube from the container to the doser.

I like the drews doser, but i'm worried I won't have enough physical space in the stand (because I will need 3 pumps) and it will also take up at least 2 plugs on my controller while the magus will only take up 1 plug.

Very very happy with my bubble magus so far. It's close enough in cost to the drews doser and even slightly cheaper if you add in the extras you need with the drews doser setup. Additionally, bubble magus has 3 rollers vs 2 for the brs setup.

For containers I highly recommend lock & lock 1 gallon food storage tubs. I'll try to post a pic of my setup, but they are a convenient size and shape, and there are lots of choices for shapes and sizes if the 1g ones aren't ideal for you. They are also under $5 each at kamei.

I do have one slight gripe about the bm. It's chintzy power plug kept falling out of my power strip and had to be zip tied in place. However this also led to the discovery that my bm remembers my settings through power interruptions, which is nice. It's also fairly easy to set up in spite of instructions best gibberish being in written happily flowers sunshining to flow pump adjust.

I like Drew's and time them with the Apex. Because of that, I don't need internal timer. I may choose to add a third doser to dose my magnesium over a longer period of time. Right now, I'm dosing mag all at once after using a gallon of CA mix as per instructions of BRS's two part kits. I can't help but think it would serve the tank better to dose mag over a longer period of time rather than adding two cups of mix over a few minutes.

The LFS we went to after the meeting has the BM for the best price. Also uses 1 plug compared to 3. No need to come up with a program for each pump with your controller. Also takes up less space.

sfboarders said:
The LFS we went to after the meeting has the BM for the best price. Also uses 1 plug compared to 3. No need to come up with a program for each pump with your controller. Also takes up less space.

I find the set programs on the BM to not allow me the flexiblity I need. I'll be getting the Profilux 4-head unit. The have the best flexibility and every part you can get replaced, unlike the BM as per what people are saying.

http://www.ghl-direct.com/proddetail.php?prod=PL-0507

ghlsadosing-lg.gif

GreshamH said:
sfboarders said:

I find the set programs on the BM to not allow me the flexiblity I need. I'll be getting the Profilux 4-head unit. The have the best flexibility and every part you can get replaced, unlike the BM as per what people are saying.

http://www.ghl-direct.com/proddetail.php?prod=PL-0507

ghlsadosing-lg.gif

True. If I had the $$$ I would have bought the Profilux too. But the BM does its job for my tank and it's within my budget. :)

For me it was a math thing. 3 drews dosers cost about the same as a I could purchase a BM and need to rely on my crappy controller for reliability (yes I am still bitter). They also used 3 ports in my controller power strips (which cost about $99 for a 4 outlet strip). With the BM I can dose CA, Alk and MG and not even use the controller.

Another added benefit is the manual mode on the BM. Allows you for prime the lines quickly vs, having to sit and wait with the Drews Dosers plugged in.

doser1.jpg

doser2.jpg

doser3.jpg

Hope those pics are decent enough to see what's going on there. It's kind of an ugly setup and unpainted and etc because I slapped it together in a hurry for a job that was canceled that would have required me to travel for a couple months. I drilled a hole in the top of each one that fit the airline tubing snugly, and I used the natural bend that was in the tubing from being packaged to leave an upturn at the bottom so anything that precipitated out wasn't sucked into the lines. Yes, my magnesium container is empty, I decided to set up the whole thing while I was doing it as if I was using all 3 pump heads but I don't actually dose magnesium, I'd need to figure out how to be honest. I do frequent water changes so I am not sure it's neccesary.

Those containers are finding their way into more and more areas of my home, they come in an amazing array of shapes and sizes and are incredibly useful, food grade, and airtight even if you throw them off the roof. I may not have tested all those statements but it might be fun...

Back