Neptune Aquatics

Neodymium Frag Racks

I'm interested in building my own frag racks since I currently have more time than money so I wanted to see if anyone else from BAR had done this already (I'm assuming someone has). Well, I found some Neodymium magnets but I'm interested in ensuring a proper seal and protecting the glass from any scratches. I realize there are a bunch of pre-made racks that I should buy to save my time but I at least want to try the DIY route at least once.

Here is just a quick look of magnets that I found that's comparable to Ocean Wonders' magnets: http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=1154

Also, does anyone know where to source the black egg crate? I think it looks awesome.

GDawson said:
Got my black egg crate from Home Depot... very cheap too if I remember correctly.

-Gregory

Acrylic or polystyrene? Most likely, if cheap, the latter. The BLK acrylic has less algae issues and is stronger (supports more weight).

BAYMAC said:
GDawson said:
Got my black egg crate from Home Depot... very cheap too if I remember correctly.

-Gregory

Acrylic or polystyrene? Most likely, if cheap, the latter. The BLK acrylic has less algae issues and is stronger (supports more weight).
Ah, I didn't realize it wasn't just a cosmetic perk. Now I'm even more inclined to find this and pick it up. I don't recall seeing it at my local HD but maybe some other HD's around me may have it.

BAYMAC said:
GDawson said:

-Gregory

It was polystryene. It was used to distribute rock weight under the sand bed. No breakage from the weight when I broke down the tank but the rocks weren't being moved around either.

-Gregory

They have some sturdy egg crate at "TAP plastics." I use it in my frag tank. It seems a bit better than the home depot stuff, but it could be my imagination. If I recall they had black and white to choose from.

Kmooresf said:
They have some sturdy egg crate at "TAP plastics." I use it in my frag tank. It seems a bit better than the home depot stuff, but it could be my imagination. If I recall they had black and white to choose from.

Oh sweet, I'll have to check there. Thanks!

Neodymium magnets will corrode in a tank, so you either need to encase them in resin/epoxy/something-waterproof, or use ceramic magnets on the inside of the tank, and neodymium magnets on the outside.

On the subject, what happened to Frag-o-rack? (In planing to make my own, it just turned out cheaper to buy them made..unless you need special shape ones, or a lot).

Gomer said:
On the subject, what happened to Frag-o-rack? (In planing to make my own, it just turned out cheaper to buy them made..unless you need special shape ones, or a lot).

real life... IIRC he moved and changed jobs.

I got contacted by a member in regards to Frag-A-Rack, racks and this thread. I hope you were refering to that? Anyways, this is Jason the creator of the rack. I'm still around but like what Baymac stated I got re-hired with another company. Didn't move and still in santa rosa :) Things like being laid off and having a daughter sometimes change things in ones life. I slowed down advertising for the racks but I ship 1-3 racks once a week. Either directly or sold on ebay. What sucks is that neo magnets increased in price in the last 4-5 years making myself increase the price. Still clean look for a clean looking tank, LOL. I really don't make much to be honest and I have been contacted by 2-3 companies to be distributors for the rack. Anyways I'm still around but got away from being a hobbyist in the last 4 years. Just got back from MARS swap and seeing ALOT of new faces. Still everyones nice as usual. If any of the BAR board members want 2 racks to be donated for BAR raffles contact me.

FYI: The neo magnets used for a Frag-A-Rack per piece has a pull force of 22lbs.

islandcreation said:
I got contacted by a member in regards to Frag-A-Rack, racks and this thread. I hope you were refering to that? Anyways, this is Jason the creator of the rack. I'm still around but like what Baymac stated I got re-hired with another company. Didn't move and still in santa rosa :) Things like being laid off and having a daughter sometimes change things in ones life. I slowed down advertising for the racks but I ship 1-3 racks once a week. Either directly or sold on ebay. What sucks is that neo magnets increased in price in the last 4-5 years making myself increase the price. Still clean look for a clean looking tank, LOL. I really don't make much to be honest and I have been contacted by 2-3 companies to be distributors for the rack. Anyways I'm still around but got away from being a hobbyist in the last 4 years. Just got back from MARS swap and seeing ALOT of new faces. Still everyones nice as usual. If any of the BAR board members want 2 racks to be donated for BAR raffles contact me.

FYI: The neo magnets used for a Frag-A-Rack per piece has a pull force of 22lbs.

Oh no way.... I thought you went to Texas? Glad you are still around.

I should have went out to the BAR swap, darn it :(

Denzil,

I'm probably WAY too far for you to grab one LOL I'm in santa rosa... My suggestion is if your tank isn't that thick and looks of a rack doesn't get to you make a rack for yourself. I'll say my racks isn't for everyone. If you like the clean look of your tank and want a rack that would compliment it then this is a good option. Thanks

I maybe going to the NVR swap this saturday and I'm bringing some racks? Just need to convince the fiance that a 2 hour plus drive two weeks in a row is a good idea. LOL

islandcreation said:
Denzil,

I'm probably WAY too far for you to grab one LOL I'm in santa rosa... My suggestion is if your tank isn't that thick and looks of a rack doesn't get to you make a rack for yourself. I'll say my racks isn't for everyone. If you like the clean look of your tank and want a rack that would compliment it then this is a good option. Thanks

I maybe going to the NVR swap this saturday and I'm bringing some racks? Just need to convince the fiance that a 2 hour plus drive two weeks in a row is a good idea. LOL

I may be able to work something out with a fellow forum member that also lives in Santa Rosa. :)

bee505 said:
Denzil, If you need some black egg crate, I can help you out with that. I have some left over from my frag tank build.

Awesome, yeah, I certainly need some. Would you PM me your contact info and location so we can figure something out? It'd be much appreciated. :)

I bought epoxy coated neodynum magnets, the coating makes them waterproof and helps not scratch the glass.

I used epoxy to glue them to the rack.

oh and uh, I used the bullet tray from a box of 50 .45 ACP ammo as the frag rack!

Works great, but I bought bigger magnets as it took a row of 3 small magnets to hold up the rack.

A non-listening nephew, who was told "DON'T TOUCH THIS!" found out the hard way not to play with the magnets. I heard a yelp and crying coming from the room and he showed his finger tip with the skin crushed/stuck between the magnets. I couldn't pull up much sympathy for him as I explained that if he played with the magnets it would make the frag rack and corals fall to the bottom of the tank so DON'T TOUCH IT. His Mom managed to quickly seperate the magnets with her fingernails ... lucky for him since you can barely seperate the magnets.

Back