Reef nutrition

Neptune Apex

Hi Folks,
This weekend I finally decided to take the leap and get a Neptune Apex. I've thrown enough money into this hobby that it's stupid not to have this piece of tech at this point, especially if I ever want to go on vacation. My question to those of you who have an Apex is what did you wish you knew when you got it, any pointers, mistakes, things I shouldn't do? Also any good resources to learn how to program the sucker. Basically anything that can help me climb the learning curve a bit faster :)

I have the Neptune Apex, breakout box and will be getting electronic float switches to shut off return pumps in the situation that my overflows clog. Anyone know of any good sources for small float switches?

Thanks!

They're awesome :)
Check Bulk Reef Supply for float switches etc. Get a wireless network adapter to connect it to your wifi if the unit isn't close to your router/ethernet port.

Cool, I picked up the network adapter already, got that set up no problem. As far as float switches, i've had great experience with Avast Marine's pressure switches. I'm already using them for my ATO and Skimmate collector, and they work great. The one drawback is they are ~60 bucks each, however, they are easy to mount (standard probe mount), and have no moving parts to get clogged.

I already figured out how to program my Jaebo(spelling?) WP-25 to oscilate from on to off every 5 minutes.
Im going to be using float switches to control my return pumps (turn them off incase of high water level).
Also will be getting the flood sensor
using it for feed cycles (turn off return, skimmer..etc)
using it on my reactors to monitor pump health (i read somewhere that the outlets can monitor current draw and can be programmed to shut off in the case of sharply increased current or a short or something like that)

Oh... hmm maybe should order one of these to see what the big fuss is about. Unfortunately I'm not buying an Apex anytime soon, my AC3 works fine, but it doesn't have nearly the capabilities.

Did you read the manual already? I know it's painful but is pretty helpful (at least for me anyways). Another good resource would be their forums.

What wireless network adapter did you end up using? I'm curious. :)

Did you read the manual already? I know it's painful but is pretty helpful (at least for me anyways). Another good resource would be their forums.

What wireless network adapter did you end up using? I'm curious. :)

I am reading through the manual, but I was just reaching out for advice as far as best practices for coding the thing.

This is the wifi adapter I am using. From unboxing to connecting to my apex was literally like 2 minutes:
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/connected-entertainment/gaming-home-theater/WNCE2001.aspx

Oh... hmm maybe should order one of these to see what the big fuss is about. Unfortunately I'm not buying an Apex anytime soon, my AC3 works fine, but it doesn't have nearly the capabilities.

The fuss is super quiet + very low power consumption + controllable.

They are easily controlled by a micro-controller, but it can be a bit confusing.
For mine:
There was a little circuit board, with a voltage divider (10K/10K), and a small cap.
The wire to the little circuit (from controller) uses 0V to 10V to control speed, and the RC will
make PWM work fine.
The wire from the little circuit to the pump uses 0V to 5V to control speed. Might be an issue with PWM direct.

Back