got ethical husbandry?

Neptune CD vs Reef Nutrition TDO?

JVU

President
BOD
I’ve heard great things about Neptune CD pellets, and I’ve heard great things about Reef Nutrition TDO Chroma Boost pellets. Based on the description of the Neptune CD pellets, they seem like they are either exactly the TDO-EP1 pellets repackaged for the Neptune AFS, or possibly the TDO-EP1 pellets coated with additional coral food.

I use my Neptune AFS mostly when I am out of town. So far I’ve used a mix of other brand pellets (veggie and non-veggie), crushed flakes, coated with coral food, both in the AFS and daily feeding. I’d rather have a simpler option, especially when I’m using the AFS.

Anyone have any insight about the difference between the two, or if there is any?

I had noticed the reef nutrition label on the CD diet label so I asked chad about it at the last CFM when he was handing out TDO samples. He would not confirm or deny my “intuition” but judging by his face it’s essentially the same.

I have used both and noticed the reef nutrition TDO does have more of a red tint to it (the algae they use in it) than the CD stuff.

Also note that the CD diet claims to have finer particles for corals. So I think they add something like a reef roids to it. That may be the color difference.

My best guess from comparing the two side by side is that it’s the same but different. [emoji23]

4848e34859719c2d5db0926e53a917ff.jpg

Reactions: JVU
And by the way I love both. They are the only pellet food I could get any of my fish to eat. They have great color, energy and are FAT

Hmm that reminds me, I think I picked up some samples of both of these at MACNA over the years, wonder if I can find it... means cleaning the garage out... hrmph.

I watched a video from Neptune and I think they said the pellet itself is the fish food part and the coral food part is a coating that dissolves when it hits the water and will be in the water Column for the coral. That’s how they ensure that the coral and the fish get a part of it. Who knows but that’s what they say.

I watched a video from Neptune and I think they said the pellet itself is the fish food part and the coral food part is a coating that dissolves when it hits the water and will be in the water Column for the coral. That’s how they ensure that the coral and the fish get a part of it. Who knows but that’s what they say.

I just wish they had different pellet sizes like TDO. I swapped to TDO when I got my small anthias because the pellets were too big.

I need to try some. Most of my fish are fine with any pellet but my sunburst Anthias is the only fish that won’t eat flake or pellet.

Took my bartletts about a week or two to eat the TDO. I think that may have been because I used CD first and they couldn’t fit it in their mouths.

They are pretty much completely the same product although I believe TDO lacks some sort of stabilizer which is why it's a refrigerated product. Chad can't confirm it's the same for contractual reasons, but from long discussions it's apparent the formulations only have slight differences.

On BRS, RN TDO EP-1, which is the equivalent, is $8.99 for 3 oz.
Neptune CD is $12.95 for 3 oz.
So almost 50% more expensive for the Neptune version.

The 3 in CD3 is for 3 oz I think.

It’s crazy expensive on Amazon because it’s not sold by Reef Nutrition, it’s some other awesome person just cranking the price to see if there’s anyone willing to overpay.

Back