Our mission

neuro's 60 gallon cube

neuro

Webmaster
I started this journal on another unmentionable forum, but realized that forum didn't really represent my beliefs with reef keeping. In fact, far from it. So here I am!

I actually started back in 2003 with a 10 gallon, then moved up to a 40 gallon, then moved out of the country for a while, and didn't start back up until about a year ago with a 10 gallon. I realized that if I was inclined to really get back into and really enjoy the hobby, I needed to set up a tank that I could really appreciate on my own.

Here's a quick photo journal of where I started and what I currently have:

- 60 gallon Mr Aqua Rimless
- Custom Kritter Tanks sump
- 2x 6045 nanostreams
- 2x BRS dosers for Alk and Calc
- 1300 laguna powerjet return pump
- BRS Deluxe GFO tumbler
- Jager heater
- 1 PFO hood & ballast 250w 14k Phoenix
- 12 LEDS, 10 RBs, 2 Blues, from RapidLed.com attached to a modified PFO hood
- NWB110 skimmer
- ReefAngel Controller
-- ATO
-- Dimming
-- Full control over everything under the sun

wBKHf4Wl.jpg

GzRhKGGl.jpg

vCavRjOl.jpg

Q8UsIOcl.jpg

JBUZksMl.jpg

vR1j3sil.jpg

o8Jnjdtl.jpg

jaGxBHOl.jpg

Some of the pictures are old. I've since added more corals, moved a few of them around, changed and removed equipment, etc. I've also organized the sump area just a bit. There are some SPS pieces I put on the back of the rock formation, in the hopes that it will grow up and into view. It's deceptive, because I have at least 4-5 kinds that you can't see from the pics alone

I also moved my tank across my living room to a better spot. I drained a good 60 gallons out, and put it on furniture movers / sliders made for hardwood floors (they come with this furry condom-like cover). Didn't take more than a total of 30 minutes for the entire move with the help of my fiance.

My RBTA also split literally the week I got it, and my false perc jumped =(. I had that girl since... 2004? So I added a DIY screen. I don't like the looks of it, but I don't want to lose anything sentimental again.

I'm in the process of finding ways to move some of the coral off the bottom of the tank onto the rocks or walls. One solution I've implemented is resin coated neodymium magnets for attaching any coral to the back wall. This was by far not an easy DIY nor was it inexpensive, but it's doable--I just wish there was a more complete guide before I started. If anyone is curious, I can tell them the steps in detail. The steps can also be used to create really strong frag racks. So far I am utilizing one set of magnets for a severely injured rainbow montipora on the back wall.

I still need to find a way to put a reservoir into an ottomon I bought cheap at Target. For now, a 5 gallon food-safe container is being used.

Coincidentally, my friends are also the owners of RapidLed, and they gave me a great deal on more than just leds. They're truly great friends, and they deserve this plug!!

More pics to come once I start adding a few things I *plan* to pick up this weekend.

Welcome to BAR! Great set up you have there. I really like how you mounted your LED's to your Halide pendant! I also just put a screen over my tank and HATE it! LOL! It's a great idea, but man does it bug me.

I like that you are placing corals for how they will look in the future. Gives the tank more depth in the long run. I have several that you wouldn't know were there if you don't look from the sides or top, but eventually I think they will be fantastic.

Your sump area is very organized. I dig it. Good job.

@Kmooresf - definitely, I would have to take pics of all three sides before you saw some of the sps, zoas, etc that are on the other sides! That's one downside (or upside) of a cube.

I took a suggestion from another tank that mentioned he should have placed his SPS (the more known/common kinds) in the back and let them grow out, while the more prized/rare ones in the front. I'm not following that too closely, since I don't really care about rarity, just the overall composition. In my opinion, most zoas (and sps) are overrated and often exploited for profit. When you're standing the average distance from a tank, you rarely notice anything besides a set of contrasting colors.

more to come later! now back to work...

Full tank shots, 6/1/2013:

LuH0Xfsl.jpg

mORsCwBl.jpg

CRfF7jEl.jpg

Picked up a few frags from WrongGenoType, and cleaned the bottom of the glass as much as I could.

I still have a few starter frags in the DBTC. If no one wants them by the end of the week, I'm going to look to see if I can trade them. I'd prefer them to go to a good home.

Cheers!

I'm just starting in this hobby.
My tank is still in the planning stage.
Having said that, I have looked at a lot of tanks online.

Your tank really looks great!
Very clean equipment setup.
Very nice "reefscape" in the tank.

This tank looks great and should be amazing as it grows out.
Good job.

Jim

updates since:

- Added:
-- a miami hurricane chalice. Not doing too well. Lost a lot of color, but otherwise surviving.
-- unknown chalice
-- DJ Ton tons
-- blue tubbs (one was bought, one is DBTC)
-- Kryptonites (DBTC, but I already have a colony of this)
-- Mohawks (DBTC)
-- ORA Red tabling acro (DBTC I think)
-- God of War (DBTC)
-- Coco Worm
-- mary janes
-- juvenille Melunurus Wrasse
-- and a few others i can't name.

Most frags are doing just great.

My bubble coral was having issues. The fleshy part split in half, and one part settled in an low-flow area. It's looking decent and healthy otherwise.

I lost a Ricordea somewhere into the depths of my rockwork =(. It floated off a piece of rock that I glued it too and I couldn't catch it in time. On a good note, the other surviving one kind of split and so far doing fine.

Got rid of 99% of flatworms.

Moved some coral around. Lots of other stuff. Pics to come this week when I get a chance.

updates since:

-- miami hurricane chalice doing much better. decided to move him out to see how well he does on teh floor of the tank.
-- moved a few pieces around. hope the zoas can handle the change in height.
-- can't seem to get the right white balance when shooting actinics-only
-- I think i accidentally killed this really neon-pink colored zoa colony. Super small. You can see the 3 polyp colony in these pictures, but this is prior to me accidentally squishing them.
-- added a mari janes mini colony, and a set small colony of palys accompanied them.
-- added duncans from charles' dbtc.
-- more, but it's really not that important.

00l0AJJl.jpg

LkqHi1kl.jpg

I added a ton of stuff to the tank. And have been doing 10 gallon water changes for the last few weeks. Lots of stuff in the tank now.

lAfDHQsl.jpg

I'm just starting to cycle out some nano rock so I can glue/epoxy them onto magnets and put them along the left and right glass panels... creating a sort of valley on both sides. Let's hope it turns out ok. I should probably have kept all the nano rock before I sold it, because they were encrusted with a thick layer of coraline!

In the meantime, I finally have an HD video I quickly threw together.

Last edited:
nice clean set up.

any close up pictures of how you mounted the led heat sink to the pfo pendant, does the mh heat up the leds? also, how do you like the 10 rb, 2 blue? i was thinking of doing 8 rb, 4 uv or 12 rb, 6 uv on a dimmer.

i want to do the same thing (even using rapidled actinic kit) but with a lumenbrite instead of a pfo pendant, though same bulb and pfo ballast. i have a smaller 38 gallon cube.

thx

Back