Jestersix

neuro's 60 gallon cube

Added a few more zoas. I'm pretty much done with zoas, and the tank is near cruising speed. I might want to pick up a colony or two of sps to help fill the back upper top area, and a chalice or two to cover a few exposed flat areas. It'll be about a year before things get near to where I originally had it.

Again, thanks to everyone who helped me out. It's greatly appreciated!

6e7d54deab1e11e3831012dc77eab68d_8.jpg

e660f34eab1d11e3803d1266aef84be9_8.jpg

thats a beautiful red mille colony! super bright red!

Thanks Lawrence, that's a red planet colony. The base is a really nice green color.

Looking amazing considering everything that happened. Glad you are back!
Yep I second that looks nice

Thanks guys!! The tank actually recovered in one week after I did all the water changes. All params were stable by then. I was lucky things weren't any worse.

Update

k0JnAc4l.jpg

jledbsxl.jpg

Full Album

A lot of good and bad things have happened. I'm not as happy with my tank as I was before due to a few hardships, but I hope things grow back into place. It will be another year before I fully recover from my issues.

- Lost my prize red planet, but managed to save a few fledgling frags. (This one event hurts the most)
- Whole colonies of zoas decided to melt away. I do not believe it was zoa pox.
- Added two wp25. So I've got two wp25s and 2 tunze 6045s to keep things suspended
- Added a penguin 25watt UV filter
- Lots of fish all of a sudden decided to die off randomly. No two fish died at the same time.
- Added a bunch of stuff but can't keep track of it all
- SPS are doing fantastic for some reason compared to everything else
- Switched out reef octopus 110 with an aquamx cones co-1 -- dramatic difference in sludge production
- Dosing strontium once a week. Will need more.

Observations and interesting things I discovered.

- Magnesium keeps getting depleted 300-400 units a week for some reason. Not sure what or where the sink is. Measured Mg in IO salt and is fine @ 1400. Could be correlated to the die-off then rise of Coralline as soon as I started adding more Strontium and Mg to get levels back.
- Weird thick brown diatom appearance. Almost like a carpet sponge. Discolors and stains my rocks after I brush it off. So far, under control.
- Any more feeding than what i'm doing, and cyano comes back. Sucks because I'd like to use reef chili/roids but adding any of it, and I can see cyano come back immediately

you know i just did a search. no i don't think it's dinos, but maybe i have a different kind of dino that doesn't look quite the same

I've beaten Dino's a couple times before in my previous tanks. But the fall out and clean up after was no fun.

Glad your slowly getting things back to spec Alfred.

Oh good if it's not Dino :) it's like brown cyano...

To further describe this to people since I don't see anything on any other forums about this algae:

Yeah this stuff is closer to a sponge if it grows in a concentrated area.. It comes in small clumps if I don't clean it up after a while. Otherwise in other areas it's like a thick mat of diatoms. Nothing stringy, and no bubbles unless I'm pumping micro bubbles into the tank. It's easy to remove, except for the discoloring on the rocks it grows on. That eventually changes color but man does it take a while.

I've beaten Dino's a couple times before in my previous tanks. But the fall out and clean up after was no fun.

Glad your slowly getting things back to spec Alfred.

Thanks for all of your advice. For the most part, 90% of my zoas are doing fine now, even after being irritated they don't melt away. Knock on wood it stays this way. Just watch, I just jinxed myself.

Yeah this stuff is closer to a sponge if it grows in a concentrated area
Now I'm again thinking it could be Dino. Same case in my tank.. if you let it grow, its like a translucent brown sponge that you can siphon out. In any case, best to keep nutrients minimal for a while :)

I used to dose 2ml Fuel daily & things were fine... but last week dosed 10ml in one shot since I was traveling and these things multiplied very fast!

Now I'm again thinking it could be Dino. Same case in my tank.. if you let it grow, its like a translucent brown sponge that you can siphon out. In any case, best to keep nutrients minimal for a while :)
I used to dose 2ml Fuel daily & things were fine... but last week dosed 10ml in one shot since I was traveling and these things multiplied very fast!

Hmm, I've seen pics of dino being either really long and stringy, or look exactly like a super brown version of cyano. Neither of which describes the brown algae I'm mentioning. I've let it grow out before, and it doesn't carpet like the pics I've seen. Either that, or I just have a different kind of dino.

PMd you the treatment process

Yo was that to me? I never got a PM

For now, I've kept it minimal. I switched GFO and I'd like to think the UV filter is doing a good job

In that case I have the same thing you have ;) mine doesn't carpet either, mostly like small translucent brown sponges on rock...

The PM was for me :)

thanks guys,

my stuff doesn't look anything like the picture. none of this algae i'm seeing grows on anything living. looks like i have to stay vigilant.

but i hell i don't know anymore. i'll keep an eye out

Back