Cali Kid Corals

New Alameda Propagation

Mr. Ugly

Past President
A few of us stopped by Steve's "secret" propagation facilities for an impromptu visit after the swap yesterday. First time we got a chance to see it. It's set up in a warehouse for a few months by now, and it's maybe about half finished. It's already holding corals :D

Amazingly clean and efficient setup. Finished version will have two 4' x 48' propagation raceways and two 2' x 48' holding systems and quarantines. One holding/quarantine system and one prop system is up and running. Second holding system is in progress, and second prop system construction is about to start.

Prop system is pretty cool. 48' long constructed with pressure treated lumber frames and lined with plywood and painted with epoxy sealer. Top section for propping, and bottom section for full length sump with live rock, DSB, and macro algae. He's running 1000w MH setups over the system.

Water circulation is really slick. Runs off of just 2 pumps. One at each end. One pump recirculates through a full length manifold which also serves as the frag rack. The other pump supplies a surge tank that's also attached to the same manifold. Remember those 4x4 prop bins at Steinhart? That's what's in place for surge. Super quiet system with tons of flow and surge. Impressive.

No pics yet, but looks like Steve is going all out for the big time :D

After he gets up and running 100%, he'll have to change his name to "Ocean King".

Yah... so Chinese of him :D

I told him, too bad it sounds like a seafood restaurant :D

That's got to be the worst name I've heard of yet, for a company within this industry. Sure hope your joking.

Haha... for Chinese, that name is totally kick ass from a cultural POV.

On the level of KR (King of the Road) for a GT500KR, or SS(Supersport) for a Chevelle SS for car peeps.

For anybody else, even Chinese Americans, Ocean King is kind of a crack up :D

But it's so bad, it's good! :D :D :D

It makes me think of the Moonies ( http://www.perkel.com/politics/moonies/ ) and they aren't something I would suggest being connected with :D

Ocean King of the Moon Jellies!

Actually, Moonies make me think of Moon Pies and RC Cola, and that makes me think of stock car racing :D

Steve Trieu is all I know.

I know some Chinese from Vietnam and they use the Americanized Vietnamese way to spell their last name.

He and the family speak pretty standard Chinese. Haven't heard him speak Vietnamese yet, so no clue :D

Back