got ethical husbandry?

New Aquarium

Very nice Anthony!!!
You could drip a hole in the conduit and pass the power cable through inside of it for a even cleaner look!!!
I think that's what Mike was asking in his post.

JAR said:
Nice Anthony!

Thanks Jon! :)

eldiablosrt8 said:
hey anthony it looks sweet makes me wanna build a frag tank using these par bulbs...

Thanks :) You're going to need a lot of these bulbs for a nice even coverage of a frag tank, and that gets expensive ... otherwise, I love these bulbs :)
I love them so much, I am on the fence about adding a third bulb to the rig!

newhobby said:
Very nice Anthony!!!
You could drip a hole in the conduit and pass the power cable through inside of it for a even cleaner look!!!
I think that's what Mike was asking in his post.

I thought about drilling holes into the conduit, but part of me was a bit lazy and tired at the time I put it together, and another part of me didn't want to risk messing anything up :D Because the tank is against the wall, I trailed the wire on the side of the conduit closest to the wall, and held it in place with black zip ties. The zip ties are very neatly done, so they almost look like they belong there! You won't even notice the wires unless you look for them :)
Though, if I am feeling ambitious one of these days, maybe I will look into it :D

mpoletti said:
What a cool shot Anthony.

Thanks Mark -those words mean a lot coming from you! :) Are you at MACNA!?

sfsuphysics said:
Looks quite nice Anthony, did you actually bring the power for those lights through the support bar?

Thanks Mike. I actually got the idea from Matt. The lamps are hooked up to a light rail which I attached to a piece of conduit that I bent and spray painted. The light rail is what provides electricity to the lamps through a wire which I hid along the back side of the conduit.

sid700 said:
How do yo like those lights? I am thinking of getting one for my 12g nano from nanotuners.

Sid, these light are fantastic. I don't think I am going to ever use anything else ever again on a nano. Each of those two lamps above has different optics. When I was planning out the rock work I knew I want the right side of my aqua scape higher than the left, so I put in 60* degree optics on the right lamp. The left side of the tank I knew I wanted lower, so I left the stock 40* optics in the left lamp to allow for more light to punch through the water. Over your 12g, you're going to need to either use 40* optics and raise it way up to get good light spread over your tank, or go with 60* optics IMO. Unless you're looking for that strict spotlighting effect, then go for the 40's.

These lamps also produce minimal heat, and the color is nice IMO. The ones I am using now are both 20K. I am thinking of adding a third lamp!

Also ... these lamps are damn strong. Bleached a Favia frag of mine at the very bottom right corner of this new tank where the light supposed to be weaker. doh!

Hey Anthony,
The nem garden is looking great. Some happy clowns there!
Very nice lighting. Brilliant but natural at the same time. Great display.

screebo said:
Hey Anthony,
The nem garden is looking great. Some happy clowns there!
Very nice lighting. Brilliant but natural at the same time. Great display.

Thanks John, I appreciate that :) The tank filled up nicely, so now I just sit, watch, and enjoy this tank. It's nice not having to stick my hands in the tank except for during the weekly water changes.
The clowns are quite the crib if you ask me :D

Long story short, I've decided to take this aquarium in another direction -I'll post back when everything has hit its stride :)

Back