got ethical husbandry?

new bowfront tank

Hi I just bought a 50 gl bowfront made by odyssea frok craigslist. I'm not sure if it glass or acrylic but I want to get it drilled for my sump. Can you please suggest where to get it drilled and how big of a bulkhead. I'm in Cupertino

Thanks

Congrats on the tank. You probably want at least 600gph turnover for that size tank so at least 1 inch. If there are going to be lots of bends in the pipe you may want to go to 1 1/4 inch.

The place to ask, I don't know whether they drill or not, down in Cupertino would be Dolphin Pet Village in Campbell. They probably know some who can drill if they don't. You could also drill it yourself (Even I was able to do it, how hard could it be?).

bondolo said:
Congrats on the tank. You probably want at least 600gph turnover for that size tank so at least 1 inch. If there are going to be lots of bends in the pipe you may want to go to 1 1/4 inch.

The place to ask, I don't know whether they drill or not, down in Cupertino would be Dolphin Pet Village in Campbell. They probably know some who can drill if they don't. You could also drill it yourself (Even I was able to do it, how hard could it be?).

I believe its an acrylic tank, but unsure where should I drill it. From the back or at the bottom. I already have the circular bits. Also any suggestions on the overflow. I might used a dorso pipe

I took my tank to dolphin to get it drilled, but the guy said he is not sure if its a tampered glass. So I will just buy an overflow. Can you suggest any good one?

Thanks

You can probably find the tank you want at "All about Fish" in Walnut Creek. They have a large selection of tanks with stands.

As for an overflow I have heard very good things about "Lifereef." http://www.lifereef.com/home.html

Coral reefer said:
I've got a couple acrylic tanks that are 36" if that will work?

Hi Can you send me pictures? Does it have stands?

Here is my current tank right now
https://post.craigslist.org/manage/3045986775

Hi Everyone! I just got my tank running. I have a PF-800 by Eshopp and I made a hofer gugler buster to minimize the noise. Using 1" pipe from over flow and connect to 1.1/4 flex hose. My return pump is rated 1340 gph with 6feet return on 1/2" pvc with 3 90degree turn. My overflow cant keep up with my return. Any suggestions? Some said put bigger drain and some said put 2nd U

Another question. My tank came with 4 pc bulb at 36w each. How much do I need for my anemone and soft corals?

Wow, that's a lot of return flow for a 50G tank. Most recommendations I have heard are in the 5X-10X/hr range but I know that some people run with even lower flow. Switching to a smaller pump may be your best bet. You could also T off the return to use it for your skimmer, reactors or carbon/GFO.

Four 36W PC (what colours?) is going to be enough light for all but acros at the top of your tank. Lower in the tank you'll have reduced growth and it might be best to stick with LPS, discosoma and ricordia mushrooms, euphillya (frog spawn, hammer coral) cyphastrea and lyphastrea.

What are you looking for in coral? Colours, shapes, motion? What colours? (for me the rule is "fluoresce to impress", but that's me).

Its actually a 60 gallon tank. I'm getting rid of my 110 gallon. So im using my return pump and.lights from that. Right now I have two 150w hqi and two 96w pc that Im using but my wife wants to use the hood that it came with. Thinking of doing some retrofit but just dont know how will I even start.

My wife likes colorful corals. We dont have any hard all softies

Back