Neptune Aquatics

"NEW" BRS 2 part doser pump

Has anyone ordered/used one of these yet? Once I get my controller, I'd like to hook up some easy pumps for 2-part dosing. I'm looking to get a couple of these based on the positive feedback with the Drew's 2-part dosing pumps they still sell. But I also saw that they just started selling these pumps as well and am wondering if they are the same, better, worse than the old ones. Thanks for any input!

Well they're a dosing pump, don't know what that talk in the video about pumps not being supported from the front, I thought they all were.

Before I'd commit ask yourself how much do you dose per day (roughly)... because those pumps move very little, 1.1mL per minute. So if you dose 1 cup per day, that's 236 mL so basically you need to keep those pumps on for 3.6 hours a day (roughly), now those pumps are not supposed to be run for any length of time, so you'd need to dose multiple times per day.

Basically they're fine as long as you don't need to dose much at all.

Yeah, I wouldn't have to dose that much. I only have a 30 gallon system right now and when my tank was running well and full of healthy corals, the dose never exceeded 50 ml.

Nearly every peristaltic pump I have run across (dozens of manufacturers now) are fine running 24/7 Mike, you just go through the tubing faster (which most likely is why BRS states the tubing life for a 4 hour daily use for a year). It's not a "pump" issue per say :)

http://www.aptinstruments.com/peristaltic.htm is where BRS used to get their pumps from but it looks like they found a new supplier.

If your using your own mix of two part simply make you solution stronger if you don't want to dose for a long time.

BRS Doser's are intermittent duty pumps and not meant for continuous non stop operation. We recommend on/off cycles under a few hours to maximize the pumps life span.

At 4 hours use a day tube life is over 12 months

APT is where I got my pumps from. The continuous usage isn't a problem of the tubing but the motors themselves. If you have a brushless motor then you can run them continuous without issues, the more inexpensive ones are typically not brushless though. Does that mean you can't do it? No, but if the manufactures recommend you don't run them continuous what harm is there listening to their recommendations?

How much stronger can you make it though? I thought it was near the saturation point already?

Here are a couple emails I exchanged with APT regarding their motor life.

How long are these pumps rated for in continuous use?
http://www.aptinstruments.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AI&Product_Code=SP300VO&Category_Code=SP300

And are the brushes replaceable? Please let me know.

Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian,

In a 24/7 application these motors would be rated for about 4000-7000 hours depending upon the load of the pump (type of tubing and pressure).

In a 50% duty cycle or less, the life expectancy would be about 50% higher. Heat is the issue that reduces the brush life.

No, these are not replaceable brushes.

I would be happy to review your application and make a recommendation.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Larry
APT

I said
Thanks Larry,
How about the brushless pumps how long are they rated for? Also does
it depend on what RPM I am running it at?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

Motor life is not usually greatly effected by motor speed.
It is most effected by continuous operating time (heat buildup).

The BLDC motors are rated for 20,000 hours.

Regards,

Larry
APT

You actually got a reply from them? I've sent dozens to them, some with requests for 1000 lot pricing and still no reply. To bad, I was willing to go American made but they drove me to China!!!! The Chinese units are actually made much better and have a higher standard QA on them. Every APT unit I've gotten has not only not matched any of it's mates, they've all had at least one screw very loose.

FWIW I've all ready gone above the upper rating they give for 24/7 usage by 3 months and the thing is still kicking fine. It's not enclosed and the area has a fan on it so that may be helping. I've replaced the tubing twice on it now.

sfsuphysics said:
How much stronger can you make it though? I thought it was near the saturation point already?

Compare the dosage of it to "name" brands. You'll notice everyone on the market is higher strength then the DIY 2 part. Pretty sure you can make it stronger. To be sure I'll send Randy and Craig an email and make sure I am correct :p

example:
solubility of CaCl2 at 20c is 74.5 g/100mL or 2820g/gallon.

BRS recipe is 2 cups/gallon. Their listed density is 5g/tsp so 480g/gallon

Sounds good Tony, I've had issues with dissolving of big hunks before, and didn't know if that was a solubility thing, or just that a big hunk won't dissolve under normal issues.

I go with a half strength solution of randy's recipe simply because I'd get too much precipitation when I pour it in the tank (pre-peristaltic pumps)

saturation is the limit but reaching it isn't always easy. The solubility is at 20C so heating isn't the solution. Most likely, you just need to mix it really well. If only well all had magnetic stir rods/plates ;)

Back