Our mission

New Hobbyist Workshop Volunteer Thread (April 12th 12:30-3:00PM)

The New Hobbyist Workshop is coming up on April 12th, and is a new event to try to attract new club membership and fulfill our club goal of educating new hobbyists. The event will be set-up as different stations, each with a different topic related to starting out in reef keeping. Each station will be manned by a couple experienced BAR members who will interact with new hobbyists as they circulate from table to table. You get to pick what topic you feel you are an expert on, and you will answer new hobbyists questions about that topic and give them general advice and guidance.

I know we have a bunch of experts in this club, so let's all help out and share our knowledge with people just starting out in the hobby! Wouldn't you have loved to have a group of experienced reefers to help you out when you started your first tank? This event should be a ton of fun and its a chance for all of us to share our experience and passion for the hobby.

We really need a good showing of volunteers in order for this to work out! I'd like to have about 8 stations, each manned by 2 people. You guys get to suggest the topics! Just let me know what you'd like to talk about and we can set up a station for you! Some ideas for topics are:
- How to cycle an aquarium
- Proper fish selection
- Plumbing a sump
- Picking out the right lighting
- Flow
- Beginner corals and their care

The sky is the limit guys! Please let me know if you can man a table at the event and what topic you would like to be in charge of. I'll post the stations as people select topics. If you see a topic you like that is already posted, let me know and you can join as the second person manning that station. We'll also need volunteers for set-up, clean-up, and manning the gear sale tables.

Stations
1) BAR Membership Table - Mike Ray and Steve (patchin)
2) Fishless Cycling - tygunn (water testing demo)
3) Water (mixing, chemistry, and testing) - magnetar68 (Ray)
4) Reef Aquarium Selection and Life Support - Nano sapiens (Ralph)
5) Flow - 2manyhobbies
6) Lighting - Denzil
7)
8)

Check-In/Welcome Table - 12:00-3:00 (Two Shifts)
1) Mike Ray - 12:00-1:30
2) Mike (Bondolo) - 1:30-3:00

Gear Sale - 12:30-3:00
1) Apon
2) Mike (bondolo) - 12:30 - 1:30
3)

Set-Up - 11:30-12:30
1) Felicia
2) aquatic mouse
3) tygunn
4) 2manyhobbies

Clean-Up - 3:00-4:00
1) Felicia
2) tygunn
3) 2manyhobbies
4)

Last edited:
So how all is this going to work? Lets say I volunteer for a topic, say flow, would I be giving a demonstration of flow devices? a lecture of flow? or would I be like an information booth where I respond to questions?

Also are all theses "stations" going on at the same time so that I'd give my (whatever that is to be determined) multiple times? or would there be only one going on at a time so I demo/talk/Q&A to everyone?

I responded in the wrong place. Oops.

I would be willing to help take people through fish less cycling. Ace hardware has the proper ammonia for this, and it's cheap enough we could just give away little bottles of it (http://www.amazon.com/Vktech-10ml-D...94574663&sr=8-1&keywords=10mL+plastic+bottles -- cheap cheap cheap) for people to use cycling a new tank.

Any word on getting sponsors to provide things like test kits to let people get hands on with? At the very least it would be easy to demonstrate how to use an ammonia test kit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Actually I think if we're gearing this towards new hobbyists it would be a good idea for those experienced with the hobby to identify things. After all from our experiences we can right away think of the top list of things that confused us and we would have liked to know starting out.

Also, is this event publicized at all? Even just a poster at some of the lfses would be good?

We need a LOT more volunteers if this event is going to be a success! This whole event depends on the experienced club members being willing to share their knowledge with new hobbyists. Our club's mission is education, to I'd love to see us further that mission by sharing our club's immense knowledge store with the newbies! Please volunteer for a topic and/or one of the other volunteer shifts!

Most of the people attending will not be people using our forums since they'll be told about the event at one of the local stores. Therefore, we can't have them suggest topics. I think we all know what types of topics are useful when you're just starting out, so let's stick to just having members suggest whatever topic they would like to talk about at the event.

So how all is this going to work? Lets say I volunteer for a topic, say flow, would I be giving a demonstration of flow devices? a lecture of flow? or would I be like an information booth where I respond to questions?

Also are all theses "stations" going on at the same time so that I'd give my (whatever that is to be determined) multiple times? or would there be only one going on at a time so I demo/talk/Q&A to everyone?
The idea is that each table/station can decide the format of how they'd like to share their knowledge. All of the stations will be happening simultaneously, so this isn't like a speaker, but more like interactive stations. A lot of the new hobbyists will be in the process of setting up their first tank, so most of them will have very specific questions in regards to their build. If we just had speakers lecturing at them, I feel like it would be too much of the same general information that you can easily find on the internet or in books. I want this to be more interactive, where experienced members can talk with the new hobbyists, share experiences, and answer questions.

Within that, you can format your station however you'd like! If you'd like to have a quick demo set up, that would be great! Just let us know so we can see if we can get all the equipment you'd need for the demo. Also, if you have things to bring for the demo from your personal equipment, that would be great! Basically, the more interactive you can make it, the better! We want this to be fun! But, the main idea is just to share your expertise on the topic you chose and answer questions as the attendees circulate between the stations.

I responded in the wrong place. Oops.

I would be willing to help take people through fish less cycling. Ace hardware has the proper ammonia for this, and it's cheap enough we could just give away little bottles of it (http://www.amazon.com/Vktech-10ml-Dropper-Bottles-Plastic/dp/B00D2MPVUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394574663&sr=8-1&keywords=10mL plastic bottles -- cheap cheap cheap) for people to use cycling a new tank.

Any word on getting sponsors to provide things like test kits to let people get hands on with? At the very least it would be easy to demonstrate how to use an ammonia test kit.

Sorry for my delay in responding! Life's been a bit hectic with having some family in town and traveling. I'm in full blown planning mode for this now though, so expect prompt answers from me from now until the event. :)

Fishless Cycling is a great topic! I'll put you down as a station. If a second person would like to assist you, that would be great, but let's fill up all 8 stations first.

I'll look into getting ammonia for us to give away, but if not, you can always just suggest having people add a bit of food to the tank to decay and kick off the cycle. That's how I've always started my cycles. Some basic flake food, pellets, or frozen all work fine for that.

I can definitely bring my basic API test kit with ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH for you to use for demos. Demo's are fun and interactive, so I like your thinking! Maybe having a printed diagram of the nitrogen cycle at your station plus your water test demo would be great. Beyond that you can discuss the topic and answer people's specific questions.

Thanks so much for volunteering! So now who's going to step up to the plate next? We need lots of volunteers! :)

Actually I think if we're gearing this towards new hobbyists it would be a good idea for those experienced with the hobby to identify things. After all from our experiences we can right away think of the top list of things that confused us and we would have liked to know starting out.

Also, is this event publicized at all? Even just a poster at some of the lfses would be good?

Exactly! I want the experienced members to come up with the topics. Some good examples if you guys are stumped are:
1) Mixing saltwater - including the different salt mix options, using RO/DI water, how best to mix your water, etc.
2) Lighting options - pros and cons of each type (MH, LED, T5s), helping people plan lighting for their specific tank dimensions
3) Sump design and plumbing
4) Flow in a reef tank
5) Fish selection
6) Coral selection and placement/care
And the list goes on... A lot of these lend themselves really well to demos or interactive activities. Let your imagination run wild and let me know what you need! Just keep in mind that I have a tight budget :)

And yes! This event is publicized! We've got posters up at a bunch of the LFS's around the Bay Area and all the stores know to recommend the event to anyone new to the hobby. There are big, full color posters in:
1) Aqua Exotic
2) Neptune Aquatics
3) Aquatic Collection
4) Diablo Corals
5) Aquarium Concepts
6) Albany Aquarium
7) Tropical Fish World
8) Reef Raft - taking posters to their opening

Sorry for my delay in responding! Life's been a bit hectic with having some family in town and traveling. I'm in full blown planning mode for this now though, so expect prompt answers from me from now until the event. :)

Fishless Cycling is a great topic! I'll put you down as a station. If a second person would like to assist you, that would be great, but let's fill up all 8 stations first.

I'll look into getting ammonia for us to give away, but if not, you can always just suggest having people add a bit of food to the tank to decay and kick off the cycle. That's how I've always started my cycles. Some basic flake food, pellets, or frozen all work fine for that.

I can definitely bring my basic API test kit with ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH for you to use for demos. Demo's are fun and interactive, so I like your thinking! Maybe having a printed diagram of the nitrogen cycle at your station plus your water test demo would be great. Beyond that you can discuss the topic and answer people's specific questions.

Thanks so much for volunteering! So now who's going to step up to the plate next? We need lots of volunteers! :)

I can easily bring the ammonia. I have plenty and it's cheap. What length of time should we aim for each session?

Do you think a discussion about rodi is also useful? Or another station?

Ok, well I will definitely get you a bunch of those little bottles to put the ammonia in. If you need me to go buy a big bottle from Ace, we have some club money budgeted for misc. items like that, so just let me know!

For length of time, I'd say to keep your planned part pretty short, like 10 minutes or less. People will just be milling around between the tables so it needs to be more interactive, and less of a planned spiel. Have a few things planned to tell people and then you can answer questions and show them a demo if they're interested. I think keeping this more casual and interactive will keep people from getting bored.

Let's see if someone wants to run a topic on water, like mixing saltwater, RO/DI units, etc. That would be a good station all on its own with maybe a demo on hydrometers vs. refractometers and how to use them. They could also demo how to mix salt. We've got all the supplies for that. If that doesn't happen though, then I'll let you know and you can add it to your topic.

Since I plan to bring some gear to sell, I will take a shift at the gear table. On a side note, maybe it would better if the BOD ask people/members to speak about topics vs the step up and volunteer approach. I only say this because these folks will be speaking to newbies on behalf of BAR and it would better in my opinion, to have an approved speaker? Anyways just my 2 cents.

Since the club needs $, limit participation to supporting members. All are welcome to attend, but actual participation requires membership.
Membership indicates dedication to the hobby.
Just my 2cents worth

Ok, well I will definitely get you a bunch of those little bottles to put the ammonia in. If you need me to go buy a big bottle from Ace, we have some club money budgeted for misc. items like that, so just let me know!

For length of time, I'd say to keep your planned part pretty short, like 10 minutes or less. People will just be milling around between the tables so it needs to be more interactive, and less of a planned spiel. Have a few things planned to tell people and then you can answer questions and show them a demo if they're interested. I think keeping this more casual and interactive will keep people from getting bored.

Let's see if someone wants to run a topic on water, like mixing saltwater, RO/DI units, etc. That would be a good station all on its own with maybe a demo on hydrometers vs. refractometers and how to use them. They could also demo how to mix salt. We've got all the supplies for that. If that doesn't happen though, then I'll let you know and you can add it to your topic.

Okay, sounds good. I've got a liter of ammonia, and I've used less than 1 mL to cycle so far. Haha. So I am fine with filling up little bottles from mine. Worse case I use 1/2 liter and still have another 1/2. :)

Okay, that gives me a good idea. I can make up some simple visuals to go along with the presentation/booth as well.

Since I plan to bring some gear to sell, I will take a shift at the gear table. On a side note, maybe it would better if the BOD ask people/members to speak about topics vs the step up and volunteer approach. I only say this because these folks will be speaking to newbies on behalf of BAR and it would better in my opinion, to have an approved speaker? Anyways just my 2 cents.
Ok great, I'll put you down for the gear sale. Thanks for volunteering!

I don't want to have to force people into volunteering. There are basic topics that experienced club members can easily share their knowledge on, so I don't think we need approved speakers. I'd like to have people who want to volunteer and are excited about helping some newbies get started in this awesome hobby. I know all of you guys are an expert on at least one beginner aquarium topic.

Please don't be shy everyone! We still need lots of volunteers!

Since the club needs $, limit participation to supporting members. All are welcome to attend, but actual participation requires membership.
Membership indicates dedication to the hobby.
Just my 2cents worth
We want anyone new to the hobby to be able to participate, but then the goal of the event is to show those people how awesome our club is and encourage them to join. If the event involves an obligation to join from the get-go, I doubt many people will attend. A lot of people would like to check out the club, meet the other members, and then decide to join if they have a good time. Plus, we're giving free frag packs of beginner corals to anyone who joins BAR at the event, so that should be pretty good incentive!

Last edited:
Back