High Tide Aquatics

New Hobbyist Workshop Volunteer Thread (April 12th 12:30-3:00PM)

We want anyone new to the hobby to be able to participate, but then the goal of the event is to show those people how awesome our club is and encourage them to join. If the event involves an obligation to join from the get-go, I doubt many people will attend. A lot of people would like to check out the club, meet the other members, and then decide to join if they have a good time. Plus, we're giving free frag packs of beginner corals to anyone who joins BAR at the event, so that should be pretty good incentive!

Just to clarify there won't be frag packs at the event I hope? Otherwise a new person with no real will have a hard time setting something up fast enough for them frags.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Just to clarify there won't be frag packs at the event I hope? Otherwise a new person with no real will have a hard time setting something up fast enough for them frags.

The frag packs will be at the event for anyone who joins BAR. I figure a lot of the new hobbyists might already have a tank set up and be ready for corals. Good point though about some not being ready for coral! If that's the case, we can hold the frag packs and have those people grab them at a later event.

The frag packs will be at the event for anyone who joins BAR. I figure a lot of the new hobbyists might already have a tank set up and be ready for corals. Good point though about some not being ready for coral! If that's the case, we can hold the frag packs and have those people grab them at a later event.

Okay fair enough. :)

I am free on the 12th and I'd be willing to assist those new to the hobby. For those interested, but without a tank/equipment, how about 'Reef aquarium selection and life support'.

I can bring a few frags to give away, too.

Ralph.

I am free on the 12th and I'd be willing to assist those new to the hobby. For those interested, but without a tank/equipment, how about 'Reef aquarium selection and life support'.

I can bring a few frags to give away, too.

Ralph.
Great! Thank you Ralph! That's definitely a great topic. Let me know if you need any supplies for demos or anything you come up with.

Due to the difficulties of lugging around tanks and equipment, I was thinking of just bringing a Laptop and using that when an example is required.

Ralph.

Due to the difficulties of lugging around tanks and equipment, I was thinking of just bringing a Laptop and using that when an example is required.

Ralph.
Ok sounds good! If you change your mind let me know! In terms of the life support part, if you want to show filtration options, I have some spare Aqua clear filters you could show people for smaller tanks and I'm sure we could get a skimmer and I also have a spare media reactor we could show.

Sure, why not, could use some equipment examples I have a piece or two that I could bring, too.
Ok great. You wouldn't have to set them up on a tank or anything, just have them on your table so you can show people their different options and how they work and such. I figure it makes it more interactive :)

I can bring some Maxijet, a koralia, and a heater or two. I have a handheld tds meter I could also bring too if it helps the water person.

I can bring some Maxijet, a koralia, and a heater or two. I have a handheld tds meter I could also bring too if it helps the water person.

Sounds great. If we all bring a few things we should have plenty of stuff to distribute for demos and such. :)

Would this be a good time for a dbtc table? I might do that, but how much is there really to say? Can't figure out what to do for this event...

Would this be a good time for a dbtc table? I might do that, but how much is there really to say? Can't figure out what to do for this event...
A DBTC table could always be good to try to renew interest in the program. If you want to teach a new hobbyist topic, there are tons to choose from. We still need people to do things like:
1) Flow
2) Fish selection and good beginner fish options
3) Beginner coral selection and general care
4) Lighting options

An idea for a demo station: Chemicals!
What matters as you cycle, what matters long term, what is a waste.
How to test, target parameters, how to fix. Maybe bring a test kit, and let people try it.
A lot of beginners get intimidated by that.

An idea for a demo station: Chemicals!
What matters as you cycle, what matters long term, what is a waste.
How to test, target parameters, how to fix. Maybe bring a test kit, and let people try it.
A lot of beginners get intimidated by that.
I think we have chemistry and testing covered between Tygunn, who's covering cycling and Ray who's covering general water chemistry. We'll definitely have demos of how to use the different tests! Great ideas! Keep them coming!

The New Hobbyist Workshop is coming up on April 12th, and is a new event to try to attract new club membership and fulfill our club goal of educating new hobbyists. The event will be set-up as different stations, each with a different topic related to starting out in reef keeping. Each station will be manned by a couple experienced BAR members who will interact with new hobbyists as they circulate from table to table. You get to pick what topic you feel you are an expert on, and you will answer new hobbyists questions about that topic and give them general advice and guidance.

I know we have a bunch of experts in this club, so let's all help out and share our knowledge with people just starting out in the hobby! Wouldn't you have loved to have a group of experienced reefers to help you out when you started your first tank? This event should be a ton of fun and its a chance for all of us to share our experience and passion for the hobby.

We really need a good showing of volunteers in order for this to work out! I'd like to have about 8 stations, each manned by 2 people. You guys get to suggest the topics! Just let me know what you'd like to talk about and we can set up a station for you! Some ideas for topics are:
- How to cycle an aquarium
- Proper fish selection
- Plumbing a sump
- Picking out the right lighting
- Flow
- Beginner corals and their care

The sky is the limit guys! Please let me know if you can man a table at the event and what topic you would like to be in charge of. I'll post the stations as people select topics. If you see a topic you like that is already posted, let me know and you can join as the second person manning that station. We'll also need volunteers for set-up, clean-up, and manning the gear sale tables.

Stations
1) BAR Membership Table - Felicia
2) Fishless Cycling - tygunn (water testing demo)
3) Water (mixing, chemistry, and testing) - magnetar68 (Ray)
4) Reef Aquarium Selection and Life Support - Nano sapiens (Ralph)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Check-In/Welcome Table - 12:00-3:00 (Two Shifts)
1) 12:00-1:30
2) 1:30-3:00

Gear Sale - 12:30-3:00
1) Apon
2)
3)

Set-Up - 11:30-12:30
1) Felicia
2) aquatic mouse
3)
4)

Clean-Up - 3:00-4:00
1) Felicia
2)
3)
4)

2manyhobbies can help with setup and clean-up. I would also like to demo or talk about "flow". God knows I have had enough problems with that. I could set up a small tank and use one of my Vortech pumps as a demo. I do have a few items for sale "gear" and I could lend the water testers my Hanna calcium, alkalinity, and phosphate testers and my refractometer. Just let me know what to bring.

I can also help with setup and cleanup. I'm sure I'll need to come early to fill the ammonia bottles...

2manyhobbies can help with setup and clean-up. I would also like to demo or talk about "flow". God knows I have had enough problems with that. I could set up a small tank and use one of my Vortech pumps as a demo. I do have a few items for sale "gear" and I could lend the water testers my Hanna calcium, alkalinity, and phosphate testers and my refractometer. Just let me know what to bring.
Great! Thank you so much for volunteering! I'll compile a list of equipment/supplies we need and I'll let you all know what we need a few days before the event.

Back