Cali Kid Corals

New Member-- 99sf-- Moved from San Diego

99sf

Introduction: I'm Christina, a new member of Bay Area Reefers and former member of San Diego's Marine Aquarium Society. Apon's S.F. tank tour convinced me to join this club in December of 2009, after moving here in the spring. I'm impressed by the knowledge of the club members, and by the six tanks we saw during the tour. Looking forward to experiencing the full BAR activities at the frag swap in February.

I have a 29 gallon glass tank at my office, with a 10 gallon sump. It has a ton of live rock, some LPS coral, a small cleanup crew, and no fish (my tank-raised oscellaris clown decided to jump to freedom when I was not watching). I have three kinds of duncans, basic green hammer coral, frogspawn, one aqua-cultured maxima clam, blue-green candy canes, reddish candy canes, a Christmas favia, an orange crush acan colony, some monti caps, and an encrusting monti. Pictures soon.

Can the club members recommend anyone in the east bay who could help with setting up another tank? I talked to Jeremy (Tuberider) after last week's meeting, but he lives near Half Moon Bay, so hiring him would result in a ton of travel. I'm planning to set up my old 60 gallon display tank soon. It already has a stand, sump and light system... just need to re-attach the plumbing and make sure there are no leaks. Or I hope to buy an upgraded tank :) and set it up.

I know someone, let me ask if he has the time before I say who it is :)

If it's just redoing the plumbing I might be able to zoom up on a weekend and do it for you. I love plumbing :)

Welcome!. I have relatives in Poway and can't find a nice LFS. I know SD is huge but can you suggest any? Also, where in the East bay are you?

Hi Christina,
You certainly fit right in with this crowd! I like your choices of coral "so far". The more we learn, the more Aqua-Real Estate we need! I'm not surprised about your tank expansion efforts. My 90 gal is only 4 months old and is already "close to full". I'll be doing a lot of thinning by Summer so stay tuned! Good luck and hope to see you at the Feb swap. :)

To combat the fast upgrade syndrome I saw a lot of people go through, I try to keep my corals limited to let them grow out and become colonies that way it looks more natural and less like a frag tank :p

I am originally from North County, the last city I lived in was Oceanside for about 2-3 years. Before that I was in Fallbrook.

: ) So now you went out and got a bigger tank than I have. Good thing I have a 220 in storage. I am sure you can post for help with moving/setting up the tank.

Thanks for the responses. I'm located in Orinda, just over the hill from Berkeley. I am very excited about my upcoming tank! The reef addiction has really taken hold, and I just arranged to purchase a 150 gallon tank from a nice man in Fremont, who, due to time constraints & a hurt shoulder, can no longer maintain a reef tank. I'm now searching for people who can help me move the tank & its contents on January 30--paid in cash and/or coral. Will be selling the 60 gallon tank, but meanwhile, I'm going to use it as a staging tank during the move of the big tank.

Revo, I can suggest some stores in San Diego when you visit your relatives. Aquatic Warehouse is a giant operation, located in the Clairemont area. Down the street is Octopuss' Garden, a small saltwater-focused shop with an owner who is passionate about the organisms he sells. A new store, with amazing premium corals, is called AquaSD. Custom Aquatic is located in Oceanside; they are primarily a mail-order business with a good selection of dry goods. Petco Carmel Mountain has a fancy new saltwater section run by an active member of SDMAS, and I hear good things about that store (unfortunately, unlike most other Petco stores, whose fish sections are not stellar).

Thanks everyone for the enthusiasm! My non-reefing friends think I have completely lost my mind, so it's nice to have a community that appreciates upgrades. I am super excited about this January 30 upgrade, showing the elevation of my reefing addiction.

John & Erick, I will try not to go crazy with coral frags, and will reserve some prime real estate while adjusting to such a big tank. With the tank are two really cool tube anemones that need to be target fed every couple of days.

Bryan, the tank & sump are acrylic, which should make for easier moving but will be more difficult to clean.

Arnold, if I can make the tank half as nice as your 120, I will be very happy. Don't you want to help me set up my tank so that you can practice for your new 220 gallon tank? :)

In all seriousness, where is the best place to post a reefing labor/help-wanted request? I was thinking about putting a bid out on the Craigslist "gigs" section, but would much rather hire someone who knows about reefing. Am already planning out the details of the move, including renting a truck with a ramp and purchasing wheeled Rubbermaid trash cans & bins.

Christina
what are the dimensions of the tank? what idea do you have in regards the plumbing i.e. hard piping or flexible hose.
PM me, I might be able to help you out.
I am located in Fremont.
I just upgraded to a 58 g and I was also told that I was getting crazy about the whole reefing hobby.

Christina - PM me about your time and budget. My friends at Ocean Treasures have all the stuff and Truck to move, but I am not sure what they charge. I can ask them or you can call them and ask for a quote and to see if they are available. I might be abl eto help as well depending on when.

Ok another question. Was the tank previously plumbed etc? Assuming you are just going to need to move it and replumb it etc.

Do you have a picture of the old setup? Just trying to figure out what exactly you are going to need. I may be able to help but no promises at this point (need to see if the wife has something planned for me). I am no expert by any means but I have done my fair share of moving/setting up tanks and best yet, I work for beer.

Thanks again for the reponses. I just spent my lunch break trying to upload photos & started my upgrade thread, including lots of questions for more experienced reefkeepers.
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/9285

Gus and Bryan, the tank that I am buying is 5 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet. I think the plumbing is pretty simple. There are two hang-on overflow boxes with flexible tubes that drain into the sump. There is an external return pump with a loc-line that leads up behind the tank. The chiller is in-line, so it has flexible tubes running to/from the sump. I'm going to PM you.

Arnold, I'm sending you a message about the time (starting pretty early on Saturday, January 30 for the main tank move, hopefully moving the fish & coral the night before) & budget.

seminolecpa said:
Ok another question. Was the tank previously plumbed etc? Assuming you are just going to need to move it and replumb it etc.

Do you have a picture of the old setup? Just trying to figure out what exactly you are going to need. I may be able to help but no promises at this point (need to see if the wife has something planned for me). I am no expert by any means but I have done my fair share of moving/setting up tanks and best yet, I work for beer.
Brian is can do blindfold after all the move he's made.:)

lapsan

orientalexpress said:
seminolecpa said:

Brian is can do blindfold after all the move he's made.:)

lapsan

Psssh then I guess Jeremy and I could do it with no arms, blind folded and deaf :lol: I've moved dozens upon dozens of tanks. It seemed for a while I was the only guy in the Monterey Bay that could move tanks for people :lol:

I was just a kid when MBA came online :( (I'm 37, it opened in 84 or 85 IIRC). I was on the list for scuba "tank cleaning" back in 90 but I was like number 1051 so I gave up on it. I know several curators there and get true behind the scenes tours at will :)

We do sell to them but on a limited basis as they love to grow their own.

I did recently get a sneak peak at the new display coming online soon (reef).

Don't let the spell checker fool you into Monterrey. Monterey is how it's spelled... dang thing got me more then once as well :lol: http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/

If you bribe people with beer and pizza, you could probably get as many BAR members as you need :bigsmile: My wife's Bday is a couple days before, but if she doesn't mind, it sounds like it could be fun. I live closeby in Newark.

When Bryan moved his last tank, there must have been a dozen guys there.

Back