Our mission

New Member Area/Introduce yourself thread

Hello,
My name is Mike Ray and my wife and I live in Redwood City. My wife and I are new saltwater less than 2 months into. We just found out about BAR during the past few days. We have a 55 gallon mixed reef tank that we picked up from friend of ours recently (Dan who runs Down Under store in Redwood City). We have just started with a few corals, GSP, one clam that we just got today from Neptune Aquatics (My wife speaks very highly of the them), few feather dusters, one small bubble anenome. We have had fresh water for years.

NCB, a couple things
1) It won't matter about what frags you have or don't have. You need to be eligible for the swap to participate in the portion requiring frags
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=6028.0
2) Assuming you were eligible, I would say that while technically, you could do that, IMO as a responsible reefer, you shouldn't. I think a major point of the swap is to promote the distribution of self propagated frags. While there will be some people who will do, or partially do as you described, I think most would be far happier knowing that you took the time and effort to grow out your own corals and spread your treasures amongst other hobbyist :)

(btw, it's a good question and I am glad you asked it!)

[quote author=Nanocube-boy link=topic=431.msg78775#msg78775 date=1233894487]
Gomer, I think you had mis understood me. I'm asking Do I really need to bring three frags to participate?
[/quote]

You need to have three frags of different varieties, be a member for 2009, and have attended one meeting in 2009 or have been a member in 2008 and attended a meeting in 2008 to qualify for the swap. Those are the rules to participate in the swap, that doesn't mean you can't come to the swap, meet the members and maybe go home with a few frags, don't miss it.

It's not too late to become member. You're just not qualify for this swap. Become a member and come to the swap. It's fun just to come and hang out. There are a bunch of us coming to the swap just to meet others.

What's next? Come join the festivities at the swap :) Bring a cooler with you. Despite not being able to participate in the swap, you never know what you'll come home with! For some reason, the new people have all the luck with the raffle!

hello...I started my reef tank about three months ago...came across a person on craigslist who was fragging corals and he told me about this site! I'm happy to be here!

Welcome to BAR spring007. :D This is a great place to learn from helpful people who share a similar passion/addiction. ;D

Hi All- I recently found out about BAR a couple days ago and I decided to join yesterday. I'm from the San Francisco area. I am new to this hobby. I started my 24 gallon Aquapod in October 2008, mostly softies. Glad to be here and looking forward to meeting everyone.

[quote author=bee505 link=topic=431.msg78908#msg78908 date=1233946745]
Hi All- I recently found out about BAR a couple days ago and I decided to join yesterday. I'm from the San Francisco area. I am new to this hobby. I started my 24 gallon Aquapod in October 2008, mostly softies. Glad to be here and looking forward to meeting everyone.
[/quote]

Welcome to you too!

Back