Jestersix

New Member Area/Introduce yourself thread

Hello all,
I saw this thread and I guess this as good a place to introduce myself as any. My name's Alan and I've been reefing for about 8 years now. I'm running a 100 gallon LPS/Softy tank and in the process of setting up a 29G SPS dominated tank (yeah, I'm getting into the SPS thing. It's really cool to see how they grow in different shapes, not so much into the color, though color is cool too!) Thanks to advice from BAR members, I'm going to set up with t-5s pretty soon, in an attempt to upgrade my lighting intensity. it's a pretty big jump for me, as I was seriously considering quitting the hobby back in July. I woke up one morning to find my reef devastated by the heat wave. Seriously, I wanted to f_cking cry. Most pf my collection bleached or melted, except the stupid anthelia. I was wondering if it was all worth it, to take the animals from the ocean, spend some serious time and money raising them, and have them cooked 5,000 miles away from there home. I was pretty depressed. Somehow my girlfriend found some dude on craigslist GIVING his coral away for free. Apparently he cracked his nano, and wanted them to survive, and would give them to the first person who replied, to lessen the temperature shock. In good reefer fashion, I drove fast! He was for real. I could not believe it. I still can't believe it. He gave me a frogspawn, a large varieties of zoos, monti digitata, a cyloceris sp. , and more. He gave me no chance to stop. I decided to continue my collection, and now I'm starting a new tank because I'm out of space! Redundancy! After getting all this stuff, I really feel I ought to give back to this hobby. I found this site, and checked out the frag swap. I think the DBTC is great idea, and we should keep this going. Thanks for all the advice!
Alan

Welcome to BAR!

Wow... what a story. Did that guy ever replace his nano?

Cool on the DBTC items. I saw your items there :D

Hope you got the hookup on a chiller!

Hey Ugly,
The guy said he was setting up a 75G custom acrylic in a year, after he moved to a new apartment. I felt like I was robbing the guy, so I told him I'd give him frags of his originals, or even the originals back (after fragging a piece off) after he set up his new tank. I definitely have to pick up a chiller before summer rolls around again though. Are the JBJ chillers any good? Seen them around, not sure on the quality/longevity.

I suppose I'll join the party:

My name's Ray, and I'm currently running a 58G SPS dominated tank. I've been into the hobby since 2002 (took a 1.5 year break during my move to the bay area from Santa Barbara). My tank is overstocked, overskimmed, overfed, and I overspend on it (from both a monetary and time standpoint). My wife is also running a 14G biocube with a pair of clowns in it. I enjoy Guinness and long walks on the beach.

:)

wanna buy my 100G if I can get the 220G tank?? ;D

Good to hear that you are upgrading man.. I get new tank every 6-12 months :eek: ..

Haha, I noticed; this upgrade is just so I can try and keep up with you ;)

I'm going to have to decline the offer, because I'm looking to get a glass tank; I really like that 100g of yours though :)

SUp all, Charles V. here,

Been in the reefkeeping hobby since late 80's.Been in and out of it. Lost my 1st tank during the 89 quake. ( rocks fell over over killed a nem and lost power then lost everything )..started up another tank a few years later a 55. It did well then had to sell it to a fellow reefer ( moving to a apt that would not be able to support it ). THen a couple of years later after buying a home was able to convince wife into buying a 100gal.

Been on RC for a long time now, it actually pushed me into getting back into the hobby. Just got my membership here on BAR before the last fragswap. I haven't had time to go to meetings only the last BARSWAP and only have met a few people here, CWOLFUS (thanks for the freebies ) TUBERIDER (thanks for the frags ) and TEACHERMARK ... cool guys.

Here's my info on my tank:
100gal TRUVU ( NO SUMP )
TEK 8bulb 432watt T5 system
2 Seio 1500s ( plans for upgrading to 4 HYDORS #4's )
Jager 250 watt heater
CPR Large HOB Aquafuge with ProtienSkimmer
Deltec MCE600
100lbs of Coral Deco rock from TBS
50lbs of base reeferrocks
100lbs of live sand (2-3" sand bed)

as for live stock
Spawning pair of dragon gobies ( eggs every 3-4 weeks )
Mating pair of Pink square anthias
2 Perc's non mated ( accidentally got 2 females )
Green Mandarin ( eats cyclopeeze granuals, sinking pellets )
5" pink spot watchman goby
LMB
6line wrasse
leopard wrasse ( somewhere there, hidding do to 6line )
Fairy wrasse ( somewhere there hidding do to 6line )
Tigertail cuke
numerous snails (tongan nassarius, ceriths, zebra trochus, zebra turbos, turbos, astreas )
Hermits ( scarlets and blue legs )

corals:
a whole bunch mostly frags, dont' want to spend a long time typing out there names but not much rare.... My tank is full MIX, SPS, LPS, ZOO's...

Please feel free to browse pictures of my tank. sorry if some pics are duplicate. I just took new pictures and have not had time to update and delete old pics..

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n230/delsol650/?start=all

THanks
Charles-

Hopefully sometime I will get to meet more of ya' all and get to talk reefkeeping sometime, or trade frags with you.

Hello,

I am new to this forum and back into saltwater tanks!

This is my first tank in about 15 years. I used to breed cichlids and had a fish only saltwater tank ages ago.

I currently have a 33 gallon with little bits of blue xenia, a leather coral and two clams.

Fish are two dominos, two green chromis and one clown.

My sand sifter died :( I think a crab got to him. Oh ya, a handful of emerald crabs.

I'm hoping that I can distribute my xenias when they get a little bigger. I'm also getting a couple of pink zoos and hyper green zoos tonight. Hoping to spread those around once they get growing!

Ciao :)

Hi all, I guess its my turn to introduce myself :D I joined the club several weeks ago but didnt join this forum until now.

My name is Tom, I live in the Sonoma County wine country area. I have been doing salt water aquarium for the past 20 years. I started with fresh water fish got bored and went to salt water fish, got bored and went to lps reefing and got bored and went to SPS reefing :D :D hopefully I wont get bore with SPS because it has cost a bundle :D

My tank is a 210gal SPS, with 6 metal halides and 2 VHO. I plumbed all my filtration system through the floor out to the garage and my house is much quieter now. In the garage I have an 85 gal fuge running reverse photo, a 40 gal DIY sump, filter socks, ASM skimmer with ozone, DIY calcium reactor, DIY kalk reactor, and an auto top off for water evaporation, chiller, rowas reactor. Everything is controller by an aquacontroller.

I am also is a member of the Northcoast reefers club and have met some of the BAR members such as mister Ugly, Thales and Raddogz :D I have been to one club meeting and realy enjoyed myself.

Anyway, I hope to meet all of the Bar members to talk reef :D :D.

Welcome Tom!!!

It's good to seeya post.

It's even better to know your name rather than "the Asian guy who's bringing his wife to the meeting" ;D ;p; just funning'

Back