Kessil

New Nem guard from BRS

I think they look good for what they are. You can’t expect 3D printed plastic items to look as finished as professionally mass-produced items.

That said, to me the appeal of 3D printing is to make unique items in small runs, not many thousands of the exact same item. We already have better and cheaper ways of doing that.
If that was a $5 part, then maybe. But at $40 for what is only a plastic screen, no impeller, motor or other parts, and if you're really making these in small batches, spend a little quality control time to knock off some of those burs and edges. I mean I know it's kind of apples to oranges, but the Maxi-Jet mod was less than half that cost, and that was a plastic shroud, an impeller w/ magnet and mounting bracket.

If that was a $5 part, then maybe. But at $40 for what is only a plastic screen, no impeller, motor or other parts, and if you're really making these in small batches, spend a little quality control time to knock off some of those burs and edges. I mean I know it's kind of apples to oranges, but the Maxi-Jet mod was less than half that cost, and that was a plastic shroud, an impeller w/ magnet and mounting bracket.
That’s my point. It’s fine quality and price for a 3D printer product because we shouldn’t expect too much in that space, and they are relatively expensive to make in time and labor. They really aren’t made for mass production. Mass produced items will be and are expected to be much cheaper and better, so comparing them isn’t really helpful unless you have the two choices to choose from available. In which case, mass produced always wins and the hand-made product disappears.

Once the new machines are set up and running smoothly, I have to crank out about 50 for a couple sites. If they have enough demand, I'd run an injection set and have the printers working on other stuff.

I'm not even taking commission orders right now (partially cause I had to take the guy to court to get paid for the last big job).
Having to take someone to court to get paid is never a good thing. A couple months ago I finally was paid about $25,000 from a customer that hadn’t paid for about 6 months. For a small business it makes things difficult to continue since it squeezes the cash flow and is a bit scary for being able to pay your own bills. It’s kind of nice coming through on the other side though since it’s kind of like a windfall when it comes through.

Back