Reef nutrition

New skimmer, break-in ideas?

Klems

Supporting Member
Have a new Skimz DC skimmer that I wanted to break in. Have read that some people use vinegar and Ro di water, while others just wipe it clean and run it during their cycle. What about using my old tank water from my weekly water changes?

I read mixed responses from other forums. At the least, I would give it a good overall rinse to remove any contaminants or films from the manufacturing process. For my Skimz, I had a large enough Brute container to fit it in, and did a 50/50 vinegar and water solution, and let it run about 24 hours with setting the skimmer to overflow from the cup. Gave it a good freshwater rinse, and it ran great right from the start after putting in sump.

Either way works. You essentially want to remove any release agents or lubricants used in the manufacture.

Even then, it will take a while for it to start really working. My Bubble Magus Curve 5 took 2-3 weeks. My Bubble King took 4 days to start producing very dark skimmate but still inconsistent due to a low bio load in the tank right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vinager bath it is....

Attachments

• IMG_20170217_135946640.jpg
    IMG_20170217_135946640.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 137
Well it the intention is the removal of manufacturing residue, I would guess that is mostly some oily stuff, maybe the sticky stuff from acrylic ... I would think warm soapy water to start would be good.

Seriously, I would set it up in a sink or bathtub, drop some dawn dishsoap in there and run the thing! Then after all the suds overflow your tub, rinse it off, and run it again is clean fresh water and you're done.

Vinegar is great for used skimmers caked with calcium deposits. But I would think for a new one, it's oily stuff, which means soap to clean.

Just my 2 cents.

V

INcidentally, I bought a used Skimz 203 with DC pump and it's awesome. One of my best tank purchases! Replaced my 15 year old AquaC skimmer (which is fine but this thing totally rules!)

You made a good purchase!

V

Back