Our mission

new tank with a leaky bulkhead, please advise

Beignet said:
... I've read quite a bit about the flow rates through the tank and sump and my understanding is that a turnover rate of about 3X/hour is all you need. This is advantageous for extending contact time with the skimmer and any other sump filtration (so I've read). ...

Just as a fun discussion point :
I have read in several places that also, but it does not really make sense to me from a physics standpoint.
Contact time INSIDE the skimmer, dwell time contact with the bubbles themselves, is certainly important.
But beyond that, it seems that you are over-cleaning the sump water.
Basically, the higher the contaminant level, the more efficient your filter should be at removal.
Especially for carbon or other chemical filtration.
So getting the sump water cleaner than the main tank should make filtration less efficient, not more.
Thus the more flow between sump and main tank the better.

However, there is certainly a point of diminishing returns.
And there is the cost/hassle of all the flow.
So 3X might be a good practical tradeoff point. I think I have about 5X is all.
I just don't think it is "better" than a higher rate.

Dear BAR,

I've finally gotten the new tank and plan to start the new plumbing and installation this weekend. Since I'll have to re-do my aquascaping, I thought it was a good time to ask y'all for feedback in case there is something about my current arrangement that won't be good in the long run. I've uploaded 3 pictures: the first is before the leak, the second is a current shot from the front, and the third is from the side. There are lots of crevices and overhangs, and my current fish seem happy (melanarus wrasse, kole tang, gr chromis and a geometric pygmy hawkfish).

The rock is from Marco Rocks. The space between the back and side wall and the rocks is about 2inches.

I have 1, mp-10 for circulation. I'd also like feedback on where I have it positioned. I'm not sure of the direction of flow relative to the rocks and potential coral groupings - see below.

I"m also unsure how to arrange the corals overall. I know, in general, which corals like what position in the water column for light, but I would LOVE ideas for how to make proper groupings, and given my aquascape, where each grouping should be.

I plan to keep a mixed reef (some SPS, but only easy ones), lots of LPS and softies. I've been collecting frags for quite a while, holding them in this tank and my nano. Here's what I have so far:

Birdsnest (which I love)
A browned out acro
several monti's (neon green 'putting green'; sunset monti; rainbow monti; unknown red shimmery monti; green monti with white polyps)
green slimmer
meteor shower cyphastrea
red/orange pavona

Several chalices, (Hollywood stunner, several unknowns)
Joker favia
fungia plate coral, short tentacle, green

pink-tipped frogspawn
green-tipped torch
two kinds of candy canes

Many zoas/palys
ORA leather coral
pulsing xenia

Additional Wants:
pagoda coral, acan garden, zoa garden, Rhodactis hairy mushrooms, a clam, and maybe an anemone

Anyhoo, I'd appreciate any thoughts on aquascape, flow and coral placement and thanks in advance for your help.

Best wishes,
Nann

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1018_0.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/photo copy.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/photo_10.JPG

Hi everyone,

The new tank is up and running, since March. Things are going well and the corals are really starting to take off. Not so much to report. Rather, here are just a few current pictures as I now BAR folks like photo updates. These are taken with my iphone, a bit carelessly.

I do have one question. Has anyone used these 'Aqua mags'? Opinions?

http://www.aqua-mags.com

I don't have a good place for my torch coral (who is super mean and stings everything near it). My idea was to somehow isolate it to one of these aqua mags and maybe make a free floating clump of 'meanies'. Currently, it's tucked at the bottom of the tank in the first pic, taken from the front of the tank.

The second pic is a shot of the tank from the side. Last pick, the sump.

Best wishes,
Nann

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1437.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1441.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1447.jpg

Back