Neptune Aquatics

New to BAR

Howdy everyone!
My names Dan, I just signed up to the forum in hopes to make some new reef friends in the bay area and kinda re-spark my interest again. I've been in the bay for about 3.5 years and have been keeping reefs for about 7 years. I grew up in Key West, Florida and was always fascinated with our native Ricoredea, Zoas and Anemones and would sometimes collect specimens when I could. I've got a 10 gallon tank running now which ive had for about a year and a half. All thats in my tank is for coral are a couple mushrooms, rics, zoas and a couple Acans. Livestock is a clown( which is getting a bit big for the tank) and a goby/shrimp pair. I would definitely like to acquire some more corals, whether it be for sale or this amazing donation based system you guys have. I'd definitely like to contribute some stuff eventually. I'm in the city of SF, can anyone recommend places to get good frags for a reasonable price? I can't and thats part of the reason I'm here, but really just to get back into the community. I feel that anytime my tanks have looked their best is when I have a thriving friend group of friends/ hobbyist surrounding me and thats what I hope to accomplish.
Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_6941.jpg
    IMG_6941.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_6940.jpg
    IMG_6940.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_6938.jpg
    IMG_6938.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 251
Welcome Dan you can always find people on Craigslist selling frags or hit some local stores. I'm sure it won't be long before your stepping up to a bigger tank

As far as SF goes, I don't really know many good stores. Don't get me wrong, SF has its share of fish stores, just none that I can recommend.
As far as recommended stores, I think most of our members will stand by our favorite "club sponsored stores" which include: Neptune aquatics in San Jose
California reef co. in Fremont, Aquatic collections in Hayward, and Diablo corals in Concord.

One of our members @bondolo has a link for most of the Bay Area fish stores with an interactive map.
Welcome to BAR!

Welcome to BAR!

I think Patrick (www.bayareacoral.com) is in ssf. Ultimate Aquarium is in San Mateo. If you head over the bay, Aquatic Collection is not too far and has good coral selections.

There is a new shop in Pacifica as well.

There are a few local guys over in Berkley/Oakland/Alameda that have nice zoas too.

But I suggest taking a weekend day and hitting California Reef and Neptune Aquatics as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theres a shop in South San Francisco called Natural Life Aquarium

One of the owners is kind of a douche but the store is okay.

Theres also Ultimate Aquarium by my house in san mateo. Its overpriced but okay selection.

Also pick up some frags from our frag swap in August

I got a bunch of zoas that I can frag for u and I may have a few acans I don't remember right now And I got at least a purple sponge I can frag and maybe an orange sponge. I'm in Hawaii right now so my mind isn't on my tanks. So if ud like some let me know and when I'm back I can frag for u. Only issue is I'm in Sunnyvale. I feel what comes around goes around so many people on BAR has been so helpful and so friendly and Iv gotten my share of hand outs. So I'm happy to share the love. free is always a good price.

Welcome to a fellow Floridian! I grew up in Jacksonville and moved out here 6 years ago. Most of the local stores have some inexpensive $5-$20 frag sections, which is a great place to start. Aquatic Collection, Neptune Aquatics, Diablo Corals, and California Reef Company all have some inexpensive frag sections. Buying or trading with local reefers is always great too. I got started by buying easy frags from some local reefers.

Thank you all for the kind words and suggestions. I have been to a few of those spots but not all, so I've definitely got to check them out! I'll have to find that map too

Hi and welcome. Love you shrimp/goby pair. Is that a wheeler's watchman?

Its a Hi-Fin Banded Goby. I'll try and get a better shot of them both tonight. They're too cool right?

Theres a shop in South San Francisco called Natural Life Aquarium

One of the owners is kind of a douche but the store is okay.

Theres also Ultimate Aquarium by my house in san mateo. Its overpriced but okay selection.

Also pick up some frags from our frag swap in August

Yeah, I've been there. Whats up with that guy? Haha
I got a bunch of zoas that I can frag for u and I may have a few acans I don't remember right now And I got at least a purple sponge I can frag and maybe an orange sponge. I'm in Hawaii right now so my mind isn't on my tanks. So if ud like some let me know and when I'm back I can frag for u. Only issue is I'm in Sunnyvale. I feel what comes around goes around so many people on BAR has been so helpful and so friendly and Iv gotten my share of hand outs. So I'm happy to share the love. free is always a good price.

Thank you for the offer, Super generous of you.

Welcome to a fellow Floridian! I grew up in Jacksonville and moved out here 6 years ago. Most of the local stores have some inexpensive $5-$20 frag sections, which is a great place to start. Aquatic Collection, Neptune Aquatics, Diablo Corals, and California Reef Company all have some inexpensive frag sections. Buying or trading with local reefers is always great too. I got started by buying easy frags from some local reefers.

Oh yeah? You got out too? HAH. Just kidding I love it when I go back, just not to live there. Sure is beautiful though

Welcome Dan you can always find people on Craigslist selling frags or hit some local stores. I'm sure it won't be long before your stepping up to a bigger tank

Trust me I'm already looking into cycling a bigger one. Heres a few photos of my last tank, still only 65 gallon but a nice for me

Attachments

• IMG_7525.JPG
    IMG_7525.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_7627.JPG
    IMG_7627.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_7641.JPG
    IMG_7641.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_5535.JPG
    IMG_5535.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 244
Oh yeah? You got out too? HAH. Just kidding I love it when I go back, just not to live there. Sure is beautiful though
Haha yep! Its just too dang hot there. I couldn't move back there after living in the Bay Area. I actually was just back there visiting and it was sooo hot. Fun, but HOT!

Back