New to me Reefer 250

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Rostato, May 17, 2018.

1. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

You can also hatch your own brine shrimp easily. Or order live copepods online.

2. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

AC also usually carries Reef Nutrition Tigger pods and AlgaGen Apocylops and Tisbe pods.

3. Rostato

Rostato Supporting Member

Thanks. I’ll try and get out there this weekend. Unfortunately there is no way I can get to Hayward this week with my schedule. Hopefully it can hang on. I may add the food to a small container that only the mandarin, my 6 line and royal gamma can go in. That way I have a chance to actually catch it. If I do I’ll move it to my ZOA frag tank and feed like hell.

4. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

And this is why I say you can order online.

Rostato likes this.
  5. Rostato

I wouldn’t get it until the weekend anyway, so it’s a wash.

6. Flagg37

Flagg37 Supporting Member

You have a 6 line and a mandarin? That might be your problem. The wrass will actively hunt down the pods where as the mandarin just kind of picks off what is in front of it.

I had good luck with the tisbe pods.

7. Rostato

Yeah I picked up some pods from California reef after work and stocked up half of them in my five. I’m going to release the others in my display tomorrow am when the lights are off.

Coral reefer likes this.
  8. Rostato

I got the reef nutrition trigger pods. I’ll try to get some live brine this weekend.

Coral reefer likes this.
  9. Rostato

Picked up some apex pods today as well. Couldn’t find any live brine.

Here are some updated pics [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Rostato

My ZOA frag tank is taking off like crazy and looking great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

glee and JVU like this.
  11. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster

Impressive zoa collections!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. Rostato

Thanks. I’ve already fragged out the vamp in drag for the DBTC. I’ll post up two kore for that in a week or so when I know they’re perfectly healed.

Coral reefer likes this.
  13. Rostato

Mandarin seems to be doing better. It’s stomach isn’t as sucked in. I’m glad $60 in pods did the job. Hopefully they reproduce in the fuge.

Cruz Mc5 likes this.
  14. Rostato

I caught the mandarin eating pellet food from my AFS! I don’t know when that happened, but I just so happened to be near the tank when it was feeding itself today and saw him eat like 4-5 pellets.

Also picked up this awesome little pinwheel Scolymia from AC today. Just couldn’t pass it up. Has such nice colors!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MolaMola and RandyC like this.
  15. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster

Aren’t they a little too close to each other?

16. Rostato

I don’t see any problem with two Scolymias being close together? Should I? The large one was fragged a long time ago so it has that weird shape to it anyway.

17. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Large one looks like an Acanthophyllia

Coral reefer likes this.
  18. Flagg37

Flagg37 Supporting Member

That’s what I thought too. I thought scolies were smoother like your new one.

19. Rostato

Hmm...I was told it was a Scolymia when I bought it from Jesus Aquariums at the last CFM.

But you are right. It kinda does now that I’ve done some research.

20. Rostato

Found my skimmer only making about 5 inches of bubbles. Decided to take the whole thing apart and clean the skimmer and return pump. Skimmers working great now.

I have been cleaning every 4 month, but I guess I’ll have to make that every 3.

Also decided to keep the c02 scrubber, so I completely removed the silencer from the skimmer. The co2 reactor works as a great silencer alone.

My average ph is 8.3 now compared to about 7.9 without it.