Kessil

New to the Bay Area

Hello All,

My name is Drew and I've recently moved to Novato from San Diego. I had my first reef tank set up there and plan on starting it up again here! I'm stoked to see that there is a rockin reef community here like in SD. I'd like to come out to your meeting this Saturday and check it out. I look forward to meeting everyone! Here is a pic of the work in progress:

28 gallon JBJ nano w/ LED hood

P1010516.jpg

anathema said:
Welcome! Looks like you need some frags!

Thanks! Ha Yea frags would be sweet! But, theres the whole reef patience thing. I suppose I should start with some good LR and LS to get things going once I get some water in this empty glass box!

Welcome here! You'll find lots of sources for quality frags- BAR & there are some quality LFS in this area, so when you come to the meeting from Novato give yourself some extra time to visit some of the stores- you won't be disappointed.

JAR said:
Welcome to land of the Giants!
We owe you one.

^This.

P.s. Don't forget about the Athletics, the Kings, the Golden State Warriors, the Sharks, SJ Earthquakes, the Niners and the Raiders! :bigsmile:

Up here in the North Bay it's had to keep track of all those other teams.
At least you didn't include the Dodgers! LOL
tam said:
JAR said:
Welcome to land of the Giants!
We owe you one.

^This.

P.s. Don't forget about the Athletics, the Kings, the Golden State Warriors, the Sharks, SJ Earthquakes, the Niners and the Raiders! :bigsmile:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I'll definitely be checking out the LFS's in the area. I might make it down there before the meeting hah. I was in Cotati and visited Northbay Aquatics and I was a bit disappointed, the guy did mention that they were moving soon though. I'll be hitting up Jofish in Petaluma next.
Does anyone know if Jofish has RO/DI for sale? I'm on the brink of making the plunge. Thinking of going with SpectraPure CSPDI.

All of these teams lol...you guys beat the Padres last season. They just beat more teams, we'll see what happens this time around.

eldiablosrt8 said:
Giants raiders sharks......nothing else matters plus kings r gone n As may be booted by MLB whooooo hooopo

I thought Socal was fighting the King's move? Did that go through?

dday80 said:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I'll definitely be checking out the LFS's in the area. I might make it down there before the meeting hah. I was in Cotati and visited Northbay Aquatics and I was a bit disappointed, the guy did mention that they were moving soon though. I'll be hitting up Jofish in Petaluma next.
Does anyone know if Jofish has RO/DI for sale? I'm on the brink of making the plunge. Thinking of going with SpectraPure CSPDI.

All of these teams lol...you guys beat the Padres last season. They just beat more teams, we'll see what happens this time around.

The Wine Country Reefers really knows more about JoFish then most us BAR members. That area even though it is the Bay Area, is less frequented by us down in this part of the Bay Area. WCR has a forum on Reef Central and the Jofish people are on that forum :)

You can't go wrong with Spectrapure. I would do a cost analysis though if it's cheaper to buy or make your own. Not sure about your area, but in mine the sewer fee is tied to water use. Higher water use = higher sewer fee.

Oh and BTW, welcome to BAR :D

GreshamH said:
The Wine Country Reefers really knows more about JoFish then most us BAR members. That area even though it is the Bay Area, is less frequented by us down in this part of the Bay Area. WCR has a forum on Reef Central and the Jofish people are on that forum :)

You can't go wrong with Spectrapure. I would do a cost analysis though if it's cheaper to buy or make your own. Not sure about your area, but in mine the sewer fee is tied to water use. Higher water use = higher sewer fee.

Oh and BTW, welcome to BAR :D

Thanks for pointing me toward the wine reefers Gresham! I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the RO/DI unit. I've been doing research and weighing options for days and it just felt like the right decision. I'll definitely look into the water/sewer usage. It will be providing for a 28 nano so hopefully after the first fill up, water changes won't be too taxing.

Typically it works out to be best to own. I have always owned since I got into the hobby so I know all to well the benefits of being able to do it yourself *on-demand*.

Let me know how you like JoFish. I haven't made it by there yet, but they seem to be pretty responsive to the WCR members so that's a huge plus. Every time I am in that area I am going some place far, or coming back from some place for so I never want to stop off :(

This coming weekend is BAR's general meeting with Randy Reed from Reed Mariculture (Reef Nutrition). His talk is on feeding your reef, zooplankton and more. If you're in the area, his talk is very informative and you'll be able to meet some of the other BAR members. Meeting starts at 1:00pm. Be sure to pay the $2.00 parking fee before going into the meeting. Check the link to the thread in this post for the room number. I don't think it has been announced yet :)

There also is BAYMAC (The Bay Area Marine Aquarium Conference) coming up May 14th if your free that day. BAR is hosting the event and Reef Nutrition is sponsoring it. Free admission, free parking.

I look forward to my new toy/water purifying contraption heh. Should be here by the end of the week hopefully. I'm going to check out JoFish for sure and maybe CRES tomorrow. I guess you have to call CRES to make an appointment. I think I was spoiled having all of the crazy SD LFS's within 10 mins of my old place. I'm definitely going to try to make it down on Saturday to the general meeting. I definitely have interest in learning about feeding SPS and NPS efficiently without overloading the tank with gunk.

Steve Ruddy @ CRES is a great person, awesome reefer and some one I would do business with any day. He's been doing this for a pretty long time :)

Back