Jestersix

New Toy came in the mail...

So I figured since I am building my own lighting setup... This might come in handy...

IMG_0019-1.jpg

What do you think?

(Hint, its not the Alienware)

I think thats badass!
I whish I knew what my #'s were.

I'm running 3 reefbrites.. and need to know where I am before I change to AI Sol.. so I can have a base line to turn up from.

Very cool!

rygh said:
Nice!
Hope it works well with LEDs.

I emailed back and forth with one of their engineers and he said it should read the LEDs

BigMac said:
I think thats badass!
I whish I knew what my #'s were.

I'm running 3 reefbrites.. and need to know where I am before I change to AI Sol.. so I can have a base line to turn up from.

Very cool!

I'm all for helping others out, not against making a trip to anyones house to do measurements...

eldiablosrt8 said:
Gotta bring it by once you learn how to use it

Of course Jess, that's the plan...

siokoy said:
check out this article it might help you with your LED build

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1587273

Thanks Boss been all over the DIY LED setups on RC like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm.

Here is the E-Mail conversation I had with Apogee Instruments.

Jacob,

I would really appreciate some help.

I am working on an all LED lighting setup for a large Saltwater Aquarium... While I have already ordered the MQ-200, I'd like to ensure that it will be able to properly measure the PAR of the LED's while submersed in a Saltwater Tank...

Thanks,
Dustin

Response from Jacob.

Hi Dustin,

The MQ-200 will be able to measure the PAR value of LED’s while submersed, however, there are a couple of caveats. The quantum sensor is considered a broadband sensor that ideally gives equal emphasis to all photons in the PAR region. With this in mind, and in addition to the imperfect spectral response of the quantum sensor (http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/quantum/spectralresponse.html), the MQ will underestimate the measurements of LED’s. To add to the difficulty of taking LED measurements, different setups will result in different accuracies for the MQ. This goes back to the imperfect spectral response, in that it underestimates the blue region (400-500nm) and drops off in the red region (650-700nm). So, the errors are much greater for a setup of Blue/Red LED lighting than say a setup of Blue/White LED lighting.

Because of the vastness of LED lighting systems these errors have not been quantified, but the MQ will still provide a good relative reference for your LED’s. The MQ will have a calibration setting for electric lights or sunlight, which is about a 10% difference in reading. Some users have mentioned that they will set the meter to sunlight calibration when measuring LED’s. In turn, this brings the PAR values closer to the actual values for LED’s.

Hopefully, that helps. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards,

Jacob

Back