Our mission

Newby at BAR

Hi there,

I just wanted to bid a brief hello to the BAR community. I have just started to build my first ever reef system, a 125G tank with a 40G sump, and will probably need some advise and help along the way :). Since yesterday I am running the water set up with only sand and rocks and am hoping to start adding some fish in a few weeks once the system is stable. After that, who knows ;) but ultimately I would like to have a mixed reef.

Talk soon,

Sanne

Congratulation on the new setup, Take your time during the cycling period to make sure you have a successful starting experience.

Congratulation on the new setup, Take your time during the cycling period to make sure you have a successful starting experience.
Thanks @jonmos75! Yeah, I want to make sure everything is safe ans stable for a period before adding anything, though it is tempting to just buy nice fish. However, I want to do it right and will continue to work on my patience!

Welcome. What is the rest of your system comprised of? (Equipment wise)
Thanks @Flagg37 As for my system, here is what I have. I got a customized CADLight Artisan II reef system:

125G Artisan II Series tank
DC controllable 2000GPH pump (DC-6000)
BR-1 Media reactor w/bio-pellets (still en-route with UPS)
PLS-250 280G Cap. skimmer
125G Artisan Sump (40G Vol.)
Heavy duty plumbing system
and a beautiful white Maplewood Piano cabinet.

Looks like this at the moment :)

Attachments

• tank and cabinet.jpg
    tank and cabinet.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 290
  • Sump 1.jpg
    Sump 1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 279
  • Tank finitial fill.jpg
    Tank finitial fill.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 284
Good looking setup. Clean. Are you planning on a fowlr or reef? In any case, I suggest more rock.

Other things to see if gas exchange is an issue with the glass top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good looking setup. Clean. Are you planning on a fowlr or reef? In any case, I suggest more rock.

Other things to see if gas exchange is an issue with the glass top.

Thanks @Vhuang168 Ultimately I would like a mixed reef, but I will take it slow to be sure I get it right. Same with the rocks, added about 400USD worth of rocks to start with :O but more to come at some point.

Thanks for the tip regarding the glas top. There are triangular shaped open sections so I hope it will be fine.

Nice looking tank. One bit of advise, is some sort of light blocking background on the back of the tank, either that black plastic stuff, or some opaque acrylic. Next to a big window (glass door) like that is bound to create some algae issues with the light.

Nice looking tank. One bit of advise, is some sort of light blocking background on the back of the tank, either that black plastic stuff, or some opaque acrylic. Next to a big window (glass door) like that is bound to create some algae issues with the light.
Was gonna say the same thing, yours going to be fighting algae every sec if you don't cover the back of the tank with something

Welcome! Youre off to a good start!

Which lights you choose will ultimately be up to you. Most people are using led lights now a days. Some people use t5s and some use metal halides.

Welcome! Youre off to a good start!

Which lights you choose will ultimately be up to you. Most people are using led lights now a days. Some people use t5s and some use metal halides.

Thanks. Have to find out what the differences, pros and cons are. Any info on that you can give me would be great [emoji106]

Back