Reef nutrition

Niger trigger hunting strawberry basslet

Just introduced a strawberry basslet, and my niger trigger made a bee line for it and chomped at it...

Didn't care to bother any other fish I've introduced, including a royal gramma, a purple dottyback and chalk basslets.

I tried introducing a strawberry basslet awhile back, and it disappeared overnight and I could never figure out why... now I am wondering if it's the trigger assassination squad...of one.

Been a model citizen this far...until the strawberry basslet. Wonder if it's a color thing...

Anyone ever seen a niger trigger being so selective in its aggression?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's the craziest thing... added bunch of fish that trigger ignores... but the strawberry...game on!

I figured the other basslets would be the one to strike so was watching them closely... then out of the blue, the trigger body slams the strawberry and took a bite.... then it tried a few more times before i could do anything.

Perhaps it's the color? Like a bull and red... [emoji848]

Argh. Just found my rust angel that I added with the strawberry basslet at the same time dead in the corner. I didn't see who did it but I suspect it's the niger trigger.

It's the only fish in the tank with even the slightest bit of aggression potential. Everyone else are clowns and basslets... and one filefish.

My guess now is that trigger doesn't like certain bright red/orange coloring... far fetch thought but only thing I can think of in common with the two victims. Though last night, the angel was pretty much left alone...likely happened while away from home today. Ugh.

It's my 85G DT. Plenty of rock work at that.

The trigger is a baby at about 2"... planning to move it later when it grows up.

Back