Night time photography

Discussion in 'Photography' started by A_Lee, Mar 20, 2010.

1. A_Lee

A_Lee Guest

Does anyone have any interesting ideas as to some places I can take some pictures in SF during the evening hours? Preferably somewhere with nice and colorful lights? :)

2. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Guest

Depends on what you are interested in. I always had good luck and fun wandering through the Castro District. Colorful signs and people.

3. A_Lee

A_Lee Guest

Nothing in particular ... anything interesting, and colorful :)

4. A_Lee

A_Lee Guest

5. patrickb

patrickb Supporting Member

Go to Broadway St and Columbus Ave. in North Beach. There's lots of bright shiny lights there (granted they're for strip clubs and bars but the lights are bright nonetheless).

6. patrickb

patrickb Supporting Member

Also, you could go to the Moscone Center at night and photograph the historic merry go round there.

7. revo

revo Guest

man those are nice. would you mind sharing your setup and settings?

8. Smitty

Smitty Guest

How long was your exposure on those bad boys?

9. A_Lee

A_Lee Guest

Thanks Revo, and Smitty :)

@Revo -I used a Canon 40D, 24-70 2.8L, tripod, and a cable release.

@Smitty - The first picture had a 20 sec. exposure, and the second had a 15 sec. exposure.

10. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Cable release? On a DSLR? Don't you mean corded remote or is it really an old school true cable release (meaning it pushes the button when you depress the lever on the other end)

11. A_Lee

A_Lee Guest

Well, by what you define as a cable release, I suppose I actually used a corded remote -I'm pretty loose with the terminology :)

12. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Just checking....wasn't sure if the Canon accepted a cable release

13. phishphood

phishphood Guest

Any of the new Nikons accept cable releases then?

14. A_Lee

A_Lee Guest

They seem like they may be a little cumbersome compared to what is available nowadays?

15. That is sweet pictures,Thanks for sharing :)

lapsan

16. A_Lee

A_Lee Guest

Thanks Lapsan!

17. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

None that I know of. Technology advanced beyond needing a cable release... we now have corded and non corded remotes, and they're cheap as well :) (I have both corded and non corded, prefer corded)

18. A_Lee

A_Lee Guest

19. arod2051

arod2051 Guest

Those shots are beautiful! It looks like it's a little past magic hour, too. Can you share the photo stats? f-number, shutter, time taken,etc?

20. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I really like the second one (the first if great as well). By any chance would you be willing to send me the file for that? I'd love to make a print for my wall with it (I have a super nice high end Espon printer if you want a copy as well)