Cali Kid Corals

Nikon 55mm 1.4d vs 1.8d

I think you're talking about the 50mm 1.4 vs 1.8?

I have seen many examples and reviews which say that the 1.8 is considerably sharper than the 1.4 in terms of detail and focus.

What kind of photos do you want to take with the 50mm? Or don't have anything in particular in mind? If nothing in particular, go for the 1.8d. Some people are sort of skeptical that a $100 lens can be good, but let me tell you, it's one of my best lenses (amongst some that are $800 - $1000).

The 1.4 gives you a slight edge in very dark situations, but you're still going to need a tripod anyway or lighting at night. The extra DOF isn't worth the extra money in my opinion. And when you set the 50mm 1.4 to an aperture of 1.8, the 1.8d is still sharper.

Anyway, long story short, unless you have specific need for that .4 of a stop, go for the 1.8D. You'll love it =)

If you're in the east bay anytime, I can let you try mine out =)

Depends on what you shoot and what settings you use.

If you shoot at f/2.8 and above, go with the 50 1.8D. If you shoot a lot indoor and prefer to open the lens up, faster than f/2.8, then go with the 50 1.4D. (I've tested several lenses at 50mm - 50 1.4D, 50 1.8D, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8D, and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di).

I've owned one 50 1.8D and two 50 1.4D. Of the two, I prefer the 1.4D due to its speed and greater flexibility (e.g. larger opening in the back element comes in handy when you're reversing lenses).

Back