Cali Kid Corals

No-Stand Tanks - Cord Management

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Have a small tank on a counter or no stand? Show me pics of cord routing and organization! Setups for utility/safety rather than beauty are welcome.
Example of one of my tanks that needs improvement:
Spaghetti.jpg

Each of the small tanks has a return pump, 2 circ pumps, heater, 1-2 light cords, ATO and its own tangle of cords and tubes, and some have a skimmer. Small equipment but it's still all there. Annoying. Can't figure out how to arrange it. Can't believe fire marshal hasn't written me up but I guess he's okay with the power strips I use and drip loops.

Well the big problem with stuff like aquariums is you probably are needing to remove items for maintenance/cleaning as such cable wraps are a pain.

I would probably try something like a cable raceway (google cable management raceway) so you can shove all the wires in one area then put some different colored tape on each cable (the part that's in the raceway as well as parts on both sides outside said raceway) just so you know which cables belong to which items in case you do need to pull them out

True about having to separate out cords. I needed to replace a circ pump on big tank and that was a total pain, plus it's inconvenient to soak the pump where it is located but I don't want to mess with the whole cord umbilicus. I need easy!
Looking at raceway stuff made me think of trying cord clips together or separate on back wall, low near the counter, then run up to power strip. I can tidy up slack cords by the strip and keep it all secure on windowsill behind blinds, and still be able to wipe dried salt off of counter.
So glad you reminded me about accessibility for maintenance! I think it will look like a web from tank to wall clips but that's fine.

1) Cable raceway. Just be sure to get the stuff where the walls are fingers. I got a killer deal on some a while ago, but the fingers were connected at the top so I ended up having to cut through a steel rod at the top to cut out cord slots everywhere I wanted to exit.
2) Good wire wrap. Techflex Flexo F6 if I remember correctly. Self closing, decent bend radius, no annoying velcro.
3) These velcro straps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057563UO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Occasionally mounted with these anchors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B5RJ0XY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Held in with something like these screws: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M03T9SM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the case of the velcro anchors I like to wrap the bundle first, then run the velcro through the anchor and around the bundle one last time.

Since it doesn't look that difficult to remove cords, I may try raceway behind one tank and see how it goes, maybe clips I already have behind another and see how it goes. But how do you arrange each cord from the tank across the gap to the wall/raceway? Just let it sag a little lower than the height of the raceway?

Back